• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Ultra Reef Akula UKS-180 Protein Skimmer

Item Price
Selling Terms Of Service
  1. YES I have read the terms and agree to them
Shipping
YES shipping is available

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Selling my Ultra Reef Akula UKS-180 protein skimmer. I bought this from BRS 11/21 and didn't install until 4/22 once I had everything else for my build so it's been used for nine months. It works very well and starts started skimming immediately and is very easy to dial in. The overall build/craftsmanship of this is amazing from the CNC machined body parts to the simplicity of it. Comes with all original manuals and tool for the Sicce pump for cleaning. I removed and thoroughly cleaned it every three months when I did my sump cleaning.

$500, split shipping.

20220304_074951.jpg 20220715_232841.jpg 20220502_205154.jpg 20220304_040249.jpg 20211212_193325.jpg Screenshot_20221216_144753_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me double check to make sure this will fix in my skimmer chamber tonight.

Do you happen to know if this skimmer has a way to connect to a CO2 scrubber?

I am probably at 475+shipping, since the 500$ sale was a model up, and less usage.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this skimmer and you can connect it to a co2 scrubber but you need to take the top cap of the air silencer off. A 3/8" ID tube will loosely fit over the air intake. You could also always connect the cod scrubber directly to the venturi.

OP
OP
Reefer825

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Let me double check to make sure this will fix in my skimmer chamber tonight.

Do you happen to know if this skimmer has a way to connect to a CO2 scrubber?

I am probably at 475+shipping, since the 500$ sale was a model up, and less usage.
I'm going to stick with $500 and I'll split shipping. I paid $733 on 11/21. What someone else sold theirs for is neither here nor there. Regardless, you're saving over $200 with the split shipping. That additional vent hole will cost you $2.00. Take a 3/16-1/4" drill and you have your vent hole with your $2 part.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity which nyos is that?

OP
OP
Reefer825

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Out of curiosity which nyos is that?
That was my Nyos 120 that I upgraded from. I took the photo the day the Ultra Reef arrived because I was shocked at the sheer size difference.

Keinreis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank was it on and of course I have to ask why are u selling it so quick after putting it on? I’m debating if I want the 180 or 200 for a 125. I just upgraded from a 90 and the bubble king double cone130 is going to be too small for sure. Not tire kicking. I’m honestly ready to buy now.

OP
OP
Reefer825

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
What size tank was it on and of course I have to ask why are u selling it so quick after putting it on? I’m debating if I want the 180 or 200 for a 125. I just upgraded from a 90 and the bubble king double cone130 is going to be too small for sure. Not tire kicking. I’m honestly ready to buy now.
It's still running on my CADE S2 900. Its 105gl total and the display is 85gl. I honestly feel the UKS-200 would be over kill for your 125. I should've bought the UKS-160 for my system. I'm not trying to sell you but you'll be more than happy with this UKS-180 model! I don't think you'll habe any regrets buying this UKS-180 and will rave about it if you do. It's been taken care of very well like everything I own and I remove it, completely disassemble it every 3 months and clean it no thoroughly! This is the easiest skimmer I've owned when it comes to tuning with just the single valve to open/close. I like the fact you can remove the internal round (neck or cup) from the collection cup when you clean it and the build quality is very impressive, being CNC machined from dence PVC. It's a very solid/sturdy piece of equipment. You can immediately tell this just by holding it because it doesn't feel cheap and light compared to most skimmers on the market. My Nyos which I thought was a great skimmer felt like a piece of junk when I bought this UKS-180 plus it had up to three options to tune it which was always a pain in the butt. I'm not going to lie when I say I'm nervous that I'm might be making a bad decision going with one of the I'm swapping sumps so I can run a refugium and the space is a little tight for my equipment plus I'd like to have a float switch which is easy to install on these models. I'm thinking of either a Red Octopus Elite 150SSS 6" super space saver cone. It's a tuff decision because it's pricey but my biggest concern if it'll work just as well as my UKS-180. The overall body on the Elite model seems smaller than my UKS-180 so I'm going to try that one out if mine sells. If I'm not hapoy with it then I will return it for the UKS-160! Attached are too small video clips I just recorded of it running and a few pics showing the size of the collection cup. It's pretty quiet.

Last edited:

Keinreis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s do it. I know the BK double cone 130 would likely be perfect for you, but with your space restraints I don’t think it would fit. It is not an internal pump with a foot print of around 6x8 or 8.5

OP
OP
Reefer825

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Just let me know shipping to 33919
Disregard my post about asking for pictures of your 130. I see the pump is external. I was looking at the BK Mini 160 but it seemed to have horrible reviews. I guess I'm going to go with the Red Octopus Elite 6" And if for some reason I'm not happy with that then I'm going back to Ultra Reef and getting the UKS-160. I'm really tempted just to buy that model if you end up buying mine so I don't have to go through trial and error because I know how well these skimmers work. I'll get you a shipping quote by 11:00 a.m.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the BK Mini 160 but it seemed to have horrible reviews. I guess I'm going to go with the Red Octopus Elite 6" And if for some reason I'm not happy with that then I'm going back to Ultra Reef and getting the UKS-160.

FWIW I’m using a bk mini 160 on a similar sized system and it’s been absolutely flawless. Never requires adjustment, super easy to clean. Only reason I want something different is I have the AC version and the pump makes a substantial resonant hum louder than anything else on the tank. Not much feedback on the new DC pump to be found though….

Keinreis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disregard my post about asking for pictures of your 130. I see the pump is external. I was looking at the BK Mini 160 but it seemed to have horrible reviews. I guess I'm going to go with the Red Octopus Elite 6" And if for some reason I'm not happy with that then I'm going back to Ultra Reef and getting the UKS-160. I'm really tempted just to buy that model if you end up buying mine so I don't have to go through trial and error because I know how well these skimmers work. I'll get you a shipping quote by 11:00 a.m.
I sent you the email before reading it. Yes I want yours. Let’s figure out details. If you want to email me back your number so we can work it out via text it would be easier by far.

OP
OP
Reefer825

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I sent you the email before reading it. Yes I want yours. Let’s figure out details. If you want to email me back your number so we can work it out via text it would be easier by far.
I'll go ahead and email you with my cell.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back