Ultra Reef Borei UKB-120 Skimmer Review

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I came across the need for a new skimmer recently and I settled on the Ultra Reef Borei UKB-120. While I was researching I saw that there wasn't a whole lot of information out on this skimmer so I decided that I'd do a review. I plan on doing an initial review and then periodic reviews after.

Some basic information that may help as a reference.
-I ordered from Bulk Reef Supply
-The tank it is going on is a 38 gallon with a Eshopps AR-100 sump
-My hands on experience with skimmers lies mostly with Reef Octopus Regal line of skimmers. I have owned a Tunze DOC 4910, Royal Exclusive Double Cone 180 and RedSea RSK300 but would say I have little running experience with them. So I can only compare quality.

So here are my initial impressions:

The box I received was a standard cardboard box with almost no branding on it. Only the packing tape gave away what was inside, reading Ultra Reef. The box was packed decently well with thick foam though it was just cheap styrofoam. That being said, nothing was broken or out of place within the box. All in all, the unboxing experience wasn't over the top and didn't necessarily scream big name brand. Which is perfectly fine, I mean its the product inside the box that matters anyways.

Upon first handling of the skimmer.. Phew.. Its a work of art. Straight up comparable to the Royal Exclusive in material quality. I consider my RO Regal skimmers nice pieces of kit. But its difficult to even compare this skimmer to those, the quality is just on another level. The one thing I did notice in terms of quality were just a few edges here and there had fuzzies of PVC that were not cleaned up. The edges I noticed this were the edges of the gray tubes of the air silencer. It just looks like where they beveled the edges it left a little material behind. The only other area I noticed this was on the inside of the skimmer cup lid where the lid is rounded to direct the foam head into the cup. Simply running my finger nail over those edges cleaned it right up to a perfect edge and I didn't notice them anywhere else on the skimmer.

For the skimmer itself, it came mostly assembled as shown below. The only piece that needed to be attached was the air silencer.

IMG_7565.jpg

IMG_7563.jpg

The booklet the skimmer came with didn't really have any assembly instructions, but they did contain a very well detailed exploded view with a parts diagram. Assembly was super easy anyways so I don't feel like specific assembly instructions are necessary. Assembly consisted of removing the top from the air silencer, putting the titanium screw through the hole, and tightening the screw to the collar of the skimmer. Then simply sliding the included tubing (pre cut to length) over the two nipples. The final assembly looks like such.

IMG_7581.jpg

Disassembly is a breeze. Since everything has these wonderful blue industrial "O-ring" type seals the parts are held together snuggly while still being easy enough (completely tool-less also!) to pull apart for cleaning. Plus, pretty much every piece comes completely apart for easier cleaning. Here are a few pictures of everything disassembled.

IMG_7579.jpg
IMG_7570.jpg

While researching this skimmer, I looked at every video and review I could, again there wasn't much, but I noticed my skimmer had several differences compared to other's and even the pictures you'll see online from the retailers. So I just want to outline these differences.

The first difference is the branding on the skimmer. In all the pictures Ultra Reef has their logo down the body of the skimmer. Mine does not, but you can see there is instead a small rectangular sticker with the make and model of the skimmer.

The second and largest difference is the air silencer. Here is a picture straight from BRS' website.

1687480117092.png

You can see there is a clear acrylic tube that slides onto the nipple of the venturi. My skimmer had a completely difference design, which I think is a much better design overall. I did watch an unboxing of the skimmer on youtube by "seadreams" where the host commented that the way the silencer attached to the skimmer cause it to seem flimsy. I believe the design change was to address this issue. This is a close up of the air silencer design that I received.
IMG_7571 (1).jpg

Overall the new silencer seems easier to keep clean since its no longer a clear tube, but it also just seems much easier to clean in general. Both ends of the silencer are threaded for easy disassembly for cleaning.
IMG_7573.jpg

IMG_7574.jpg

Also as stated above, the new silencer attached with a single titanium screw. The air inlet hole is drilled opposite of the hole the screw goes through which allows a screw driver to pass through to secure the screw. You can also see that one side of the silencer is concave to fit nicely to the neck of the skimmer body as well as is flat on the inside for the screw to sit nicely against.

IMG_7576.jpg
IMG_7580.jpg

I also see this design being very easy for to hook up a C02 scrubber to, where the old design seemed like it would be difficult.

The one function having the silencer tethered to the body of the skimmer does affect, is the water height adjustment. This skimmer is unique in which the whole body twists to adjust the water height inside the skimmer. The old silencer design had no affect on this function. The neck of the skimmer is compeltely removeable from the body, allowing you to "clock" the location of the silencer. Now, depending on where you have the silencer "clocked" in relation to the venturi, the line to the venturi will be routed differently. Not only this, since the whole body rotates, this routing can changed. I believe this is why they included a push to connect 90* elbow onto the venturi nipple. I played around with this for a bit and came across what I think is the best way to set this up. If you setup the silence so the water height adjustment is equally split between fully open and fully closed in relationship to the venturi, the venturi line will rotate as you adjust. I'm sure you can set this up to however you see fit, I'm just sharing my experience here. See fully open and fully closed positions below.
IMG_7577.jpg
IMG_7566.jpg

IMG_7583.jpg
IMG_7582.jpg

First moments in use:

Silent. Totally silent. No hum, no air sucking, no bubbling. I do notice some micro bubbles making their way up to the display, but I'm sure after break in they will disappear. I'll bring that up in my first check in with this skimmer.

After an hour of overflowing the skimmer cup, (keep in mind, new tank, and no fish yet) the skimmer has already formed a steady foam head. Though it shows no brown coloring, its stable and gently popping in the neck. I currently have the water adjustment all the way open, and the pump on power level 1.

End Summary and thoughts:

This skimmer is a work of art. The quality is top notch and I'm very happy with the design of it. I am missing the adjustment locking screw which locks the water heigh adjustment in place to keep if from accidentally moving once you dial it in. I'm going to reach out to BRS and see if I can get the screw sent to me. For now, it doesn't affect the overall function of the skimmer. It holds its setting fine from what I can tell. The screw would be located in the upper hole in the photo below.

IMG_7578.jpg

So far, I can certainly say I'd recommend this skimmer. I plan on checking in a week from now to see how it performs. I hope to outline a few key things then.

How fast will it actually start producing skim-mate?
Will the micro bubbles go away?
Will it stay silent?
How often will I need to adjust it as it continues to break in?

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I had one. While it is well constructed I did NOT see any difference in skimming compared to My reef octos.

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I had one. While it is well constructed I did NOT see any difference in skimming compared to My reef octos.
To me that’s actually what I want to hear. Considering the price point for this skimmer, Reef Octopus’ closest comparable skimmer would be the essence 130 which is $50 more and isn’t DC. Plus the quality wouldn’t be anywhere near the Ultra Reef.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will stick to The Classic 150 series great results good gate valves IMO.

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice post @Kodski, how’s the Ultra Reef been working for you? I also coincidentally have this on a 38g and am struggling to get it tuned. I’ve burned through google to find a simple answer but its not there…how do you adjust air intake on the UKB-120?

Opening/closing the silencer cap seems to have no effect. The only adjustments I can find are the DC pump speed and water level height. Trying to figure out how to reduce air intake.

Would appreciate any insight!

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice post @Kodski, how’s the Ultra Reef been working for you? I also coincidentally have this on a 38g and am struggling to get it tuned. I’ve burned through google to find a simple answer but its not there…how do you adjust air intake on the UKB-120?

Opening/closing the silencer cap seems to have no effect. The only adjustments I can find are the DC pump speed and water level height. Trying to figure out how to reduce air intake.

Would appreciate any insight!
I will say my experience with the skimmer is going well enough for me to say I'd recommend this skimmer but not perfect. I think most of the issue lays within me being spoiled rotten with my other skimmer on my bigger tank. I have a Reef Octopus Regal 250-EXT skimmer which is an amazing piece of kit. Truly a set it and forget it skimmer, being that its a recirculating design, I don't really ever touch it aside from cleaning. The Ultra Reef is a bit of a different experience and I've had to remind myself that they are completely different skimmers to keep myself from being dissatisfied. I don't really have any working experience with any other skimmers besides these two, so I and you, should take the following with a grain of salt.. Here are a few of my grumblings so far.

-I forget to turn the skimmer off when I turn the return pump off and it overflows, making a mess.
-if I put my hands or do a filter sock change I need to remember to put the skimmer into feed mode to avoid filling the cup unnecessarily.
- it took quite a bit longer for me to get this skimmer adjusted and I feel like I need to continually adjust it periodically.

Adjustment wise, there is no strictly air adjustment. I tried adjusting it on my own for a week or two before I decided to read the manual. I adjusted it per the instructions and found I got much better results. Who would have thought that, eh? The pump speed adjustment is the air adjustment in this case. Higher pump speed = more air and vise versa. For me, I find the easier way to adjust is to open the water level all the way open, then set the pump speed to what you think you'll like. From there adjust the water level till the bubbles pop about 1/2 way up the cup's throat for a wetter collection point and 1/4 way up the throat for a dryer collection point.

Edit: If you are looking for a very specific air adjustment, you could fine a valve to fit on the line from the silencer to the venturi and that would add a singular point of adjustment for air intake.

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say my experience with the skimmer is going well enough for me to say I'd recommend this skimmer but not perfect. I think most of the issue lays within me being spoiled rotten with my other skimmer on my bigger tank. I have a Reef Octopus Regal 250-EXT skimmer which is an amazing piece of kit. Truly a set it and forget it skimmer, being that its a recirculating design, I don't really ever touch it aside from cleaning. The Ultra Reef is a bit of a different experience and I've had to remind myself that they are completely different skimmers to keep myself from being dissatisfied. I don't really have any working experience with any other skimmers besides these two, so I and you, should take the following with a grain of salt.. Here are a few of my grumblings so far.

-I forget to turn the skimmer off when I turn the return pump off and it overflows, making a mess.
-if I put my hands or do a filter sock change I need to remember to put the skimmer into feed mode to avoid filling the cup unnecessarily.
- it took quite a bit longer for me to get this skimmer adjusted and I feel like I need to continually adjust it periodically.

Adjustment wise, there is no strictly air adjustment. I tried adjusting it on my own for a week or two before I decided to read the manual. I adjusted it per the instructions and found I got much better results. Who would have thought that, eh? The pump speed adjustment is the air adjustment in this case. Higher pump speed = more air and vise versa. For me, I find the easier way to adjust is to open the water level all the way open, then set the pump speed to what you think you'll like. From there adjust the water level till the bubbles pop about 1/2 way up the cup's throat for a wetter collection point and 1/4 way up the throat for a dryer collection point.

Edit: If you are looking for a very specific air adjustment, you could fine a valve to fit on the line from the silencer to the venturi and that would add a singular point of adjustment for air intake.
Great info, appreciate the reply!

It’s definitley finicky for me, but I’m telling myself it’ll come out of it as my tank matures.

Currently 4 weeks running with 2 fish on a 38g. 80% pump speed, around 80% open, and sitting in 8.75” of water is as close as I’ve come to getting skim - I get a thick foam head but cant quite get it into the collection cup so it just collects in the neck :expressionless-face:.

Once I go to 90-100% pump speed I get a boiling pot that never foams. If I go more than 20% water valve closed I get the same result.

I may actually try the air valve idea as an experiment as I’m kinda out of ideas for now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info, appreciate the reply!

It’s definitley finicky for me, but I’m telling myself it’ll come out of it as my tank matures.

Currently 4 weeks running with 2 fish on a 38g. 80% pump speed, around 80% open, and sitting in 8.75” of water is as close as I’ve come to getting skim - I get a thick foam head but cant quite get it into the collection cup so it just collects in the neck :expressionless-face:.

Once I go to 90-100% pump speed I get a boiling pot that never foams. If I go more than 20% water valve closed I get the same result.

I may actually try the air valve idea as an experiment as I’m kinda out of ideas for now.
I don't think you have enough bioload yet. My tank was newer with only one or two small fish and I didn't get much if any skimmate for the first few weeks until I added a few more fish.

crispyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed review!

Do you still like the skimmer? And one thing I am wondering about, how do you find the skimmer cup size? Based on the pictures it looks quite small.

I am currently trying to choose between this one and a Deltec 400i

OP
OP
Kodski

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed review!

Do you still like the skimmer? And one thing I am wondering about, how do you find the skimmer cup size? Based on the pictures it looks quite small.

I am currently trying to choose between this one and a Deltec 400i
The cup itself is quite tall. I find it to be sufficiently sized. Being DC, I adjusted the skim to be a bit darker and less runny. On my 40 gallon, I was getting about a 10-14 days before I felt the need to empty it but I had a fairly light bioload too.

Algea blenny
2x talbot damsels
flasher wrasse
tri-color wrasse
orchid dottyback
Flame back angel

Edit: To answer if I still like it. Yes, it did a great job. I just took down the tank I was running it on a few weeks ago. After break in it ran very consistently and I didn't really ever adjust it. I'd recommend it for sure. Personally, I do prefer my Reef Octopus 250-ext much more though, but they are completely different and can't really be compared. Recirculating skimmers are just a step above everything else.

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the same skimmer but the next model up on a 100g system. I have had bubble king, deltic and a bunch of others in the past. I like that this one is built extremely well. The only issue I have pretty often is that the silencer gets clogged with salt so I need to unscrew the cap and clean it. Mine doesn't have a DC pump with it, which I prefer. I'd rather just have to make one adjustment and thats it. they definitely skim here's a pic. WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 20.35.27.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back