Reef octo 150 classic noise question

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 150 classic reef octo skimmer. I've only had it for about 2 weeks. When I put my finger over the hole in the silencer it becomes substantially more quiet. Can I keep tape over that hole? Or is there a reason for the hole being there/would it megatively affevt skimmer? When I put my finger over it the skimmer bubbles a lot more too.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By covering the hole you are restricting the air flow. Are you sure it bubbles more when it's covered? My water level rises if I cover mine. I'm going from memory when I had a 150ss running. I connected a hose to the silencer and ran it through a hole in the lid. It allows it to still pull air but it makes it quieter because you don't hear the air entering.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take several weeks for RO to break in. My skimmer kept overflowing and was very noisy. I turned pump way down (Varios DC pump) and restricted the air flow until it broke in afte a couple of weeks it was fine and I turned it up and took air valve off. My advice .. give it some time.

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take several weeks for RO to break in. My skimmer kept overflowing and was very noisy. I turned pump way down (Varios DC pump) and restricted the air flow until it broke in afte a couple of weeks it was fine and I turned it up and took air valve off. My advice .. give it some time.
Ok thank you! Hooefully it quiets down

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 150 classic reef octo skimmer. I've only had it for about 2 weeks. When I put my finger over the hole in the silencer it becomes substantially more quiet. Can I keep tape over that hole? Or is there a reason for the hole being there/would it megatively affevt skimmer? When I put my finger over it the skimmer bubbles a lot more too.
That hole on the silencer is the air intake. If you cover it, it restricts airflow, restricting it some might be ok but you never want to plug it mostly or completely... Mine was a bit noisy too, but I also ran an outside airline immediately with a valve so I could tune the airflow to my liking. That made it silent, and gave me more control.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By covering the hole you are restricting the air flow. Are you sure it bubbles more when it's covered? My water level rises if I cover mine. I'm going from memory when I had a 150ss running. I connected a hose to the silencer and ran it through a hole in the lid. It allows it to still pull air but it makes it quieter because you don't hear the air entering.
You remember correctly but many, myself included, run that line outside for fresh air to assist ph

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only covered it for a few seconds and it seemed to bubble more agressively.
A hose meaning like airline tubing? Does it have to connect to anything in there or just run it through the hole? Sorry dumb question probably

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That hole on the silencer is the air intake. If you cover it, it restricts airflow, restricting it some might be ok but you never want to plug it mostly or completely... Mine was a bit noisy too, but I also ran an outside airline immediately with a valve so I could tune the airflow to my liking. That made it silent, and gave me more control.
Ok thank you sounds like I will need to do something like that

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you sounds like I will need to do something like that
If the tubing run is long (10-15+ feet) and you don't want the tubing exposed/visible, the other option is a CO2 scrubber. Will do the same thing (give you more Oxygen AND make it silent) but will also give you another maintenance task to handle

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tubing run is long (10-15+ feet) and you don't want the tubing exposed/visible, the other option is a CO2 scrubber. Will do the same thing (give you more Oxygen AND make it silent) but will also give you another maintenance task to handle
Can I just keep the tubbing wrapped up kind of in my stand or does to go outside?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only covered it for a few seconds and it seemed to bubble more agressively.
A hose meaning like airline tubing? Does it have to connect to anything in there or just run it through the hole? Sorry dumb question probably

I used air line. Just an open tube. The noise is caused by the sound of the air entering. With the end of the tube inserted in a hole in the lid it just makes it quieter because the air is entering insides the cup so you don't hear it as much. I have never used a valve in a skimmer air tube to control anything. I always use the valve on the skimmer only. An airline run outside can work too and can give a pH boost but that isn't an option for everyone and not everyone needs a pH boost. Typically running an airline outside is done more for raising pH not reducing noise. IME

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You remember correctly but many, myself included, run that line outside for fresh air to assist ph
Agreed. Running a line outside isn't an option for everyone tho. I ran one into my attic since the house has soffit vents it worked just was well as a line outside. I did it for the pH boost because the tank is in our bedroom and pH was dropping more than I liked at night. I don't think I would bother doing it to quiet a skimmer but I'm not to sensitive to the tank sounds.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op can run the tube somewhere it can't be heard, if outside isn't a option

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just keep the tubbing wrapped up kind of in my stand or does to go outside?
Typically you run the tubing to the outside to let it suck in fresh air vs the air in your home which generally has more CO2 in it due to human activity (breathing), stoves, fireplaces, etc using the available oxygen and turning it into CO2. It helps to raise pH, as others have said.

I have never used a valve in a skimmer air tube to control anything.
Controlling the Air:Water ratio allows you to "tune" wet vs dry skimmate. A DC pump influences both at the same time, while the gate valve for the water exit raises and lowers the water level in the skimmer body. Tuning the airflow is actually extremely beneficial.

Typically running an airline outside is done more for raising pH not reducing noise. IME
Yes, but it's so common because our houses are filled with CO2 that it's just sort of a "Why not?" question, and then you get both benefits simultaneously...

OP
OP
A

alicia24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used air line. Just an open tube. The noise is caused by the sound of the air entering. With the end of the tube inserted in a hole in the lid it just makes it quieter because the air is entering insides the cup so you don't hear it as much. I have never used a valve in a skimmer air tube to control anything. I always use the valve on the skimmer only. An airline run outside can work too and can give a pH boost but that isn't an option for everyone and not everyone needs a pH boost. Typically running an airline outside is done more for raising pH not reducing noise. IME
Ok thank you!!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Controlling the Air:Water ratio allows you to "tune" wet vs dry skimmate. A DC pump influences both at the same time, while the gate valve for the water exit raises and lowers the water level in the skimmer body. Tuning the airflow is actually extremely beneficial.
I suppose but I've never seen the need. I skim pretty dry. No DC pump either. I like to keep things simple if possible.
PXL_20240331_154722465.jpg

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose but I've never seen the need. I skim pretty dry. No DC pump either. I like to keep things simple if possible.
PXL_20240331_154722465.jpg
The Classic 150-INT ships with the Octo Lux T90 Aquarium. The skimmer is WAY Oversized for that size tank (48 display, with rock sand and sump volume it's around 50-55 gallons I would say). In order to even skim with it, I had to choke off the air and only let about 20-30% of the air pass through as it was sucking in on its own. Otherwise it would only flare up at the addition of things like Restor, or Frozen food, at which point it would just flood the skimmer cup with nearly clear water. With the valve in-line I was able to get it to skim drier, but it was still never really perfect. I downgraded to the Bubble Magus Curve Elite 5, and with that skimmer about 90% of the air is allowed through, I get a perfect dry skimmate. I have the air line Y'd off, one side is a CO2 Scrubber (no more line running to the outside) and the other side is just open air, both with valves, this allows me to regulate how much house air vs how much scrubbed air gets pulled in, which allows me to maintain pH and not let it get too high.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back