Unable to get alk stable

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am having issues with my alk. I am trying to get it to 9.0 but no matter what I dose it drops back to 7.5 or lower in less than 12 hours. My tank has been recovering from a Dino outbreak. Don’t know if that is relevant.
I only have a few corals in the tank a 6 head hammer a small candy cane with 3 heads and a stylo. I am at a loss as to why I can’t get to 9
CA is 420
MG 1350

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find a young tank will have fluctuating alkalinity, if it's causing issues you can add a KH buffer, I used baking soda, works very well, just keep testing daily to see how much you need to add.

OP
OP
R

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will find a young tank will have fluctuating alkalinity, if it's causing issues you can add a KH buffer, I used baking soda, works very well, just keep testing daily to see how much you need to add.
Not a new tank though. I was trying to get to 9 to give myself a buffer lol

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am having issues with my alk. I am trying to get it to 9.0 but no matter what I dose it drops back to 7.5 or lower in less than 12 hours. My tank has been recovering from a Dino outbreak. Don’t know if that is relevant.
I only have a few corals in the tank a 6 head hammer a small candy cane with 3 heads and a stylo. I am at a loss as to why I can’t get to 9
CA is 420
MG 1350

What are you measuring dKH with?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of dosing are you doing?

A tank can consume 0.5 to 4.5dKH a day. High pH will increase consumption and abiotic precipitation.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you see it as a bigger issue than it is, if your salt is 8kh and you want it at 9, you will be always dosing KH, add in the amount your corals are using and the dinos, 1.5kh is very reasonable, just correct the alk daily no big deal.

Why 9kh? maybe aim for 8, then your water changes won't affect the alk too much when you do them and you will only need to dose .5 KH daily if your tank generally sits at 7.5kh.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you see it as a bigger issue than it is, if your salt is 8kh and you want it at 9, you will be always dosing KH, add in the amount your corals are using and the dinos, 1.5kh is very reasonable, just correct the alk daily no big deal.

Why 9kh? maybe aim for 8, then your water changes won't affect the alk too much when you do them and you will only need to dose .5 KH daily if your tank generally sits at 7.5kh.

Mathematically speaking water changes do not have a big impact on parameters unless you are doing very large water changer...

OP
OP
R

Rob Biederman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of dosing are you doing?

A tank can consume 0.5 to 4.5dKH a day. High pH will increase consumption and abiotic precipitation.
Ok I think this what I was looking for. Just seemed like 1.5 dkh was a lot for my tank. I am using BRS two part for my dosing

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious of this too. I mean are you saying that the ph being raised is in creasing precipitation?

Yes. Per @Randy Holmes-Farley.

In seeking stability for my new tank, I was having trouble getting alk stability.

Long story short, pH helped me unlock my alk consumption and stabilize my pH.

As my pH went up, alk consumption went up. As pH went down alk consumption went down.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the OP is running a C02 scrubber or dosing a lot of kalk we shouldn't be discussing pH. Why confuse the issue with a variable he has no control of?

With the small amount of corals he has in his tank even if he was raising pH it won't affect alk consumption much.

Dino blooms tell me there's a lot of nutrient and biological instability. As the dinos die off other beneficial competing microbiology grows back and this sucks a lot of carbon/alk out of the water. It will eventually stabilize. Ive had smaller tanks eat 2 dKH per day going through phases like this. Young tanks are nutty with alk consumption surges. If it keeps driving you nuts cut your alk dosing to every couple of days and set your target alk at 10. Corals won't care. Baking soda is cheap.

My main concern is two part dosing eventually causing high calcium.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the OP is running a C02 scrubber or dosing a lot of kalk we shouldn't be discussing pH. Why confuse the issue with a variable he has no control of?

With the small amount of corals he has in his tank even if he was raising pH it won't affect alk consumption much.

Dino blooms tell me there's a lot of nutrient and biological instability. As the dinos die off other beneficial competing microbiology grows back and this sucks a lot of carbon/alk out of the water. It will eventually stabilize. Ive had smaller tanks eat 2 dKH per day going through phases like this. Young tanks are nutty with alk consumption surges. If it keeps driving you nuts cut your alk dosing to every couple of days and set your target alk at 10. Corals won't care. Baking soda is cheap.

My main concern is two part dosing eventually causing high calcium.

I'm not aware of anything that consumes Alk in a tank and not Ca almost equally. I can point you to the science. Almost any dosing advice is to get your target numbers in place and then balanced dosing.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back