Unable to grow chaeto

MPERL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have tried 3 times over the past 2 years to maintain chaeto in our sump without success. Each time if dies over a period of weeks. We curretnyl have a Kessil light over the refugium, but that has not made a difference.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do turf algae scrubber. I couldn’t grow charro either. Algae scrubber grows like crazy

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us have success with this

Also, try to keep to chaeto near the surface to maximize par.
I have live rock below then an inch or 2 of chaeto

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chaeto gro worked for me. chaeto used to turn white and just disintegrate. added some chaeto gro for a few months and haven't had to add any since

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have tried 3 times over the past 2 years to maintain chaeto in our sump without success. Each time if dies over a period of weeks. We curretnyl have a Kessil light over the refugium, but that has not made a difference.
My chaeto also didn’t grow at first with a kessil, but I had tons of hair algae throughout the sump that was thriving. I ended up turning up the intensity setting on the kessil to 100% and the script flipped… chaeto started thriving and the hair algae started dying off.

Is some other algae out competing the chaeto?

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light may not be enough at 15 watts. I use a 40 watt Kessil H160 Tuna Flora. It works well.

Also, chaeto requires extra iron. I dose 2-3mL of iron a week.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back