Refugium light using AI prime 16hd (is it possible)

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I'm new to having a sump in my tank and was wondering if its possible to use my old AI prime 16hd as a refugium light to grow chaeto?

If so what leds would you have on to grow chaeto? If this would'nt work what are suggested lights to use? My tank is a 70G tank and lightly stocked on corals and fish as of right now.

Also while asking I heard chaeto can cause trace elements to drop. What do you all dose in order to counter this drawback?

Thank you for your time. Appreciate any insight.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That light should work just fine, maybe a bit overkill though. . . I would mess with the settings and get it as close to full spectrum/freshwater type settings as you can as that has worked best for growing chaeto in my experience. Alternatively you could pump the red and blues in the light for that purple glow people seem to like.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That light should work just fine, maybe a bit overkill though. . . I would mess with the settings and get it as close to full spectrum/freshwater type settings as you can as that has worked best for growing chaeto in my experience. Alternatively you could pump the red and blues in the light for that purple glow people seem to like.
yeah i thought it would be a little overkill lol, but I just figured maybe get some use out of it. Its been sitting in a box for 8 months. Noticed a lot of fuge lights were similar price as the 16hd. Thanks for the tips though I'll take a swing at messing with settings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back