Unboxing Tunze 9430-DC

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my Tunze 9430-DC model today. First thing i noticed is it looks like it is shipped directly from Tunze America. I like that it wasn't shipped to Marine Depot (or any other store) and then re-shipped to my house. Less chance for damage during transport. The second thing I noticed is just how well it is packaged. (see pics below) the Tunze box is completely surrounded by packing peanuts inside a heavy duty second box. Then the skimmer itself is packed in custom cut Styrofoam inside the Tunze box. To get an idea on the size of this skimmer, I placed it next to a five gallon bucket. I will post further reviews as I unbox it and set it up.
tinze_size.jpg
IMG_4639.jpg
tunze_packing.jpg

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is five minutes after placing it in the container of fresh saltwater at 32 ppt salinity. I will have it running over nite. In the morning I will fill container with water from my tank to set skimmer height and build stand. Way easier than doing it in the sump. Then in the sump it goes. It's pretty quiet. Especially if you remove the post filter. I will come up with a mod for that. Maybe bio balls or something in sock.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really sharp. Do they have an auto neck cleaner for it?

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not believe so. Not sure how it would work on this skimmer anyway since the cup just lifts off. Super easy to remove and sits in a groove so very stable but with a motor driven squeegee on top, I’d be afraid of it shifting.

powdertang05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A avast marine neck cleaner would work fine. They even modify existing lids. I’ve had them on plenty of skimmers. I wouldn’t worry. Looks very nice I’m jelly!

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still happy with the skimmer?
Yes. I love this skimmer. I haven't made an adjustment to it since shortly after set up in late February. I had a bad Velvet outbreak in March so it did sit for 3 months with no fish. I'm slowly restocking the tank since June. The skimmer hasn't skipped a beat other than not having to work as hard. Also it's never overflowed since set up. I'm putting a 90 watt UV on line in the weeks to come and will give the Tunze it's first breakdown and cleaning at that time. Not sure what affect those two things will have but my guess is none.

Snof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I love this skimmer. I haven't made an adjustment to it since shortly after set up in late February. I had a bad Velvet outbreak in March so it did sit for 3 months with no fish. I'm slowly restocking the tank since June. The skimmer hasn't skipped a beat other than not having to work as hard. Also it's never overflowed since set up. I'm putting a 90 watt UV on line in the weeks to come and will give the Tunze it's first breakdown and cleaning at that time. Not sure what affect those two things will have but my guess is none.
I’m sorry to hear about the velvet outbreak. Hope all goes well with restocking. Glad to hear that the skimmer works great for you. Thanks.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea velvet sucks. If there’s any positive, it does give one a chance to start over learning from mistakes made. I’ve owned a lot of skimmers since the early 90s. Octopus, CPR ASM. Can’t imagine ever owning a different skimmer. Most who moved to Tunze feel the same way.

Snof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I had velvet in my (quarantaine )tank several times. Thanks for your advice. I have an ATB deluxe, but need a good second skimmer for my quarantine system. This Tunze is a good option.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea velvet sucks. If there’s any positive, it does give one a chance to start over learning from mistakes made. I’ve owned a lot of skimmers since the early 90s. Octopus, CPR ASM. Can’t imagine ever owning a different skimmer. Most who moved to Tunze feel the same way.
What size tank are you running this on, and are you still running it?
I have a 9410dc on my 120 and was looking at the 9415 but they do not make a dc version.
It may be too large for my sps 120 but the 9415 version at -70% is 120 gallon rated per Tunze.
My 9410 dc is rated for 79 gal sps and your 9430 dc is rated for 277 gal at -70% sps
tank.
Thanks.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you running this on, and are you still running it?
I have a 9410dc on my 120 and was looking at the 9415 but they do not make a dc version.
It may be too large for my sps 120 but the 9415 version at -70% is 120 gallon rated per Tunze.
My 9410 dc is rated for 79 gal sps and your 9430 dc is rated for 277 gal at -70% sps
tank.
Thanks.

Yes I am and still know it's the best skimmer I've ever used. My 9430DC is on a 210 gallon with a 65 gallon sump. My guess would be about 220 total gallons after rock & sand. It's a mixed reef with a decent fish load. Hammer, frogspawn, leather, shrooms, zoas, kenya tree, gorg, etc with a few sps, stylo, mili, montis, acro etc. I feed two cubes three times a day, plus algae sheets and mastik. Skimmer cup is emptied every three days and is half way full give or take an inch. It looks like the Tunze specs stated are for tanks using the skimmer as the "stand alone solution" for reducing nutrients. Myself, I carbon dose and have a small fuge. All that being said, the 9410DC might be pushing it on a 120. I'd feel comfortable with it on a 90 gallon. The 9430DC might be overkill on a 120. You'd probably want to go heavy in heavy out with nutrients. It is too bad they don't have a DC version between the two sizes. Maybe @rvitko would have some input.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am and still know it's the best skimmer I've ever used. My 9430DC is on a 210 gallon with a 65 gallon sump. My guess would be about 220 total gallons after rock & sand. It's a mixed reef with a decent fish load. Hammer, frogspawn, leather, shrooms, zoas, kenya tree, gorg, etc with a few sps, stylo, mili, montis, acro etc. I feed two cubes three times a day, plus algae sheets and mastik. Skimmer cup is emptied every three days and is half way full give or take an inch. It looks like the Tunze specs stated are for tanks using the skimmer as the "stand alone solution" for reducing nutrients. Myself, I carbon dose and have a small fuge. All that being said, the 9410DC might be pushing it on a 120. I'd feel comfortable with it on a 90 gallon. The 9430DC might be overkill on a 120. You'd probably want to go heavy in heavy out with nutrients. It is too bad they don't have a DC version between the two sizes. Maybe @rvitko would have some input.
How is the 9430 dc working for you today.
I think I am going to purchase one for my 120.
Im working on an upgrade so I can use it on that down the road.
I have been running the 9410 dc for 21 months now and is the best skimmer I have ever ran.
Running the non dc version on my 45 with 40 sump frag system also.
I feed heavy at 8 cubes a day plus nori.
I have 14 fish and they are all getting big
I do carbon dose but only fo feed the corals and bacteria.
Nitrates are at 25 now and usually run 5-10.
Po4 is .12 now and usually runs .06-1.
I only use a skimmer and filter sock for export.
The 9410 dc has reached its limit as my tank is 90% acros.
Anyway I have been looking at the Deltec 1000i and the Lifereef but will probably purchase the 9430 dc this week.
Its hard to go to any other skimmer as the Tunze dc skimmers are set and forget.
Just did a full sump clean and skimmer.
Put it back in and turned it on and it skims just like day one.
2 days of skim.
20210311_101138.jpg

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going strong. Great skimmer. The cup on the 9430 is even easier to remove than the 9410. Don’t even need to pause skimmer as it won’t overflow.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still going strong. Great skimmer. The cup on the 9430 is even easier to remove than the 9410. Don’t even need to pause skimmer as it won’t overflow.
Yeah the only time I turn mine off is when I take it out to clean it.
I never turn it of to clean the cup, when I feed, or work in the tank.
Very underrated skimmers, Imo.
Just ordered the 9430 dc!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I read another post of yours on the skimmer depth.
What water depth did you end up running on the 9430 dc?
My sump is 8". I will need to raise it up on some egg crate.

OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I read another post of yours on the skimmer depth.
What water depth did you end up running on the 9430 dc?
My sump is 8". I will need to raise it up on some egg crate.
I believe I was running it at 6" or so at first which worked fine. I've since found that 5.5" is the perfect height for my setup. Allows me to keep the motor speed at 50%. I have it on an egg crate stand to reach the 5.5" as well.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back