Under cabinet lights

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I got my new tank over the weekend from Planet Aquariums. Im looking to add bright white lights for maintenance purposes in the future.

I've noticed lots of people going with strip lights. My personal opinion is those look very " Janky " . I'm looking more towards a cleaner more permanent solution. Maybe 2 semi recessed puck led lights hardwired with a toggle switch on the back of the stand? Any ideas / and or pictures would do great. Thx in advance

20200918_185326.jpg
20200918_185309.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this. Motion sensor light. Fairly bright too.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a led strip and ran it around the top of the inside of stand. You can’t see it unless you get down and look up, but it gives me plenty of light in every corner of the stand when needed.

It plugs into a kasa power strip, so I can actually turn it on and off with my phone. You may want to check it out on amazon if you don’t have a controller. It’s probably the best $70 I spent on my tank. I use it as timers for everything and to turn pumps off when I feed. So much better than flipping a switch or pulling a plug.
F9897C65-9A47-435D-A613-772A2ED8A1DB.jpeg

OP
OP
Triple.T

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this. Motion sensor light. Fairly bright too.

Does it stay on or come on and off? Would be pretty annoying if I had to keep moving to keep it on during sump tasks.

I don't really want to go cheap and I want something permanent ( it's built with the stand ) . I seen some semi recessed waterproof LED pucks that put out 500 lumens each, i would just need to figure out the mounting .

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it stay on or come on and off? Would be pretty annoying if I had to keep moving to keep it on during sump tasks.

I don't really want to go cheap and I want something permanent ( it's built with the stand ) . I seen some semi recessed waterproof LED pucks that put out 500 lumens each, i would just need to figure out the mounting .
It is motion sensor or it has a switch. It stays on for 30 seconds when motion activated. It stays in place via magnet and is easy to move about.

OP
OP
Triple.T

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a led strip and ran it around the top of the inside of stand. You can’t see it unless you get down and look up, but it gives me plenty of light in every corner of the stand when needed.

It plugs into a kasa power strip, so I can actually turn it on and off with my phone. You may want to check it out on amazon if you don’t have a controller. It’s probably the best $70 I spent on my tank. I use it as timers for everything and to turn pumps off when I feed. So much better than flipping a switch or pulling a plug.
F9897C65-9A47-435D-A613-772A2ED8A1DB.jpeg

That looks great ! The only reason I am against strip lights is because when a single LED goes out, it's noticeable and looks like crap ( think of Christmas lights ) .

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great ! The only reason I am against strip lights is because when a single LED goes out, it's noticeable and looks like crap ( think of Christmas lights ) .
Thanks!
That drives me crazy too with Christmas lights. I hope that doesn’t happen with these LEDs.

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this to light my sump area. Advertised as 1800 lumens. 18w led. Awesome light. Got it plugged into my Apex and with a magnetic switch on the cabinet door, it automatically comes on when opened.

Utility LED Shop Light Fixture...

OP
OP
Triple.T

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this to light my sump area. Advertised as 1800 lumens. 18w led. Awesome light. Got it plugged into my Apex and with a magnetic switch on the cabinet door, it automatically comes on when opened.

I will be running an apex so I'm very curious, do you have any photos you're willing to share? Does the light stay on until you close the door or will it time out?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very close to what I have. Also with magnetic switches on the doors with apex to turn it on.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very careful with the flexible strip lights. I had these running up my stairs and under all my kitchen cabinets. Until my security cam recorded an led blowing up in the middle of the night. Sure enough, the entire plastic casing was singed for 6 inches either side. After ripping them all out i found evidence of other burnouts. Really surprised the cabinets didn't catch.
I now have the leds that are encased in a metal fixture.

OP
OP
Triple.T

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very careful with the flexible strip lights. I had these running up my stairs and under all my kitchen cabinets. Until my security cam recorded an led blowing up in the middle of the night. Sure enough, the entire plastic casing was singed for 6 inches either side. After ripping them all out i found evidence of other burnouts. Really surprised the cabinets didn't catch.
I now have the leds that are encased in a metal fixture.

That's not good! I won't use the strips period, that's just another reason to add to the list! I'm thinking a more permanent solution like a mounted T5 or actual recessed lights built into the underside of the stand.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful of heat being generated by the lights in an enclosed area and also any moisture that may condense within the fixture.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I got my new tank over the weekend from Planet Aquariums. Im looking to add bright white lights for maintenance purposes in the future.

I've noticed lots of people going with strip lights. My personal opinion is those look very " Janky " . I'm looking more towards a cleaner more permanent solution. Maybe 2 semi recessed puck led lights hardwired with a toggle switch on the back of the stand? Any ideas / and or pictures would do great. Thx in advance

20200918_185326.jpg
20200918_185309.jpg
Janky is all some can Afford.
809AAEB9-D8FE-4F19-93A5-814B59F33B25.jpeg

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a small bathroom led? Like you would put in a shower. They're built for humid environments. Slightly better than pucks and come with mounts. Not sure if you're trying to grow chaeto but if just for lighting, it might work.

Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the $12 Home Depot motion activated LED puck. It only turns off if I leave the area and its really sensitive, so the slightest movement turns it right back on. It has good spread, but I only have a 3 foot wide tank and am using one light. I went with it because it was so cheap and easy. So far, it serves its purpose.

OP
OP
Triple.T

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a small bathroom led? Like you would put in a shower. They're built for humid environments. Slightly better than pucks and come with mounts. Not sure if you're trying to grow chaeto but if just for lighting, it might work.

I have considered this, not trying to grow chaeto or run a fuge for that matter. I seen some nice ones at home depot for about 65 bucks each that might serve my purpose. I would have thought someone else would have thought of this, looking for some insight lol.

@DanDman I understand that completely and wasn't trying to sound like an butt. It just does not suit my budget or preference when it comes to looks. I would just like to do it right the first time, with everything in this hobby being pretty pricey the last thing I want is a cheap light burning down my 10k aquarium or my home for that matter. You know the old saying " ya get what ya pay for " ! I apply that to EVERYTHING reef related.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used strip lights along the top perimeter and front face of cabinet. Can't see the lights unless you are in the stand. Have them on a switch just inside the cabinet. Very happy with them so far. Bought them off amazon a year and a half ago.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back