Underperforming Skimmer: How do you know?

How do you honestly feel about your skimmer?

• It's amazing and I have no doubts in it's performance on my tank

Votes: 261 34.5%
  • It seems to be doing a good job but I don't really know how to tell

Votes: 256 33.9%
  • I have some doubts that it's performing well

Votes: 110 14.6%
  • I'm convinced my skimmer is underperforming for one reason or another

Votes: 63 8.3%
  • I hate my skimmer

Votes: 21 2.8%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 45 6.0%

• Total voters

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Other... because I have been using a Reef Octopus SS110 in a 120 gallon mixed reef for 2 plus years. I purposely undersized the skimmer, so it would't pull pull too many nutrients out of the system, all at once. With an undersized skimmer, I didn't need to worry about its under performance, due to low nutrients, when I first set up the tank. Now that the tank is established, there are all kinds of sponges in the overflow and an established bacterial system, that take up excess nutrients without lowering my NO3 and PO4 to undetectable. Basically an undersized, but dependable, skimmer still gives me peace of mind, but a lot more control.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted I have my doubts. But after reading the thread I guess I’m not so doubtful anymore my skimmer pulls nasty green brown skim clean it once a week and I feed heavy nitrates at 10 and po4 0.00 as long as I use gfo other wise po4 will slowly rise

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my Reef Dynamics INS300 quite a bit. Has always performed well, but it pulls even more after I added an Oxydator.

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190526_180614.jpg

LifeReef with mazzei Venturi. I know it's working because my reef told me.
IMG_20200311_111040.jpg
IMG_20200311_162905_983.jpg
IMG_20200126_172401.jpg

michaelstevenbrice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Simplicity works great and is very quiet

I ran a Simplicity 210 for 2 years and I loved it. I took it offline for a year while I was out of the country and I couldn't get the motor going again when I got home so I just upgraded when I set up my new system.

Big Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 120 gallon tank with an Eschopps s120 skimmer. It worked very well,just steady skimmate. I then upgraded to a Royal exclusiv 180 double cone with RD3. A much larger bodied skimmer. It never seemed to work consistently. I bought it knowing I was upgrading to a larger tank. In the process of building a house and moving I killed my RD3 pump So I upgraded to a Royal exclusiv 200 double cone on a 250 gallon system. I actually installed the new pump on the old 180 body. It was pulling 3/4 of a cup of skimmate in a week. Now that the tank has been running longer and the bioload is heavier I use the larger body and it works great. It is obvious that proper sizing is key to performance In my case I ended up with the option of downsizing my skimmer if needed.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is that you really can't tell. A skimmer is just one of many possible nutrient export mechanisms, and it is likely not sufficient by itself. So, long story short, the skimmer is just one member of the nutrient export team. But results are judged on the effectiveness of the entire team.

R0C95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers are useless I feel. Been learning a lot of old school ultra clean tanks and new school more stable parameter tanks. New school all the way for me. Plus skimmers are loud and can stink.

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers are useless I feel. Been learning a lot of old school ultra clean tanks and new school more stable parameter tanks. New school all the way for me. Plus skimmers are loud and can stink.

Care to share your skimmerless tank? I know it works just always curious to see them.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my display skimmer off line July 2018 prior to forest fire season. I have a fairly light fish load and a very mature 210 gallon SPS dominated mixed reef tank. A white Tail Bristletooth, Purple, & yellow tangs, 7 Springerii Damsels, a blue chromis, and a Royal Gramma.

With the skimmer offline I still have to dose nitrate and phosphate daily. My corals are doing better than they ever have.

I think the key with my system is the multitude of sponges & filter feeding tube worms under the rock work, as well as the huge biomass of zoanthids, chalices, and acros consuming what nutrients are available. I wouldn’t necessarily say that my success would transfer over to a smaller or newer system. And a couple pictures to erase Any doubt. .

3BC218A4-FC4C-4581-ACB8-8D15B67C9654.jpeg
638EB545-698D-4FA0-B73C-30881141F7D2.jpeg

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a nano with a glass bubble skimmer and I definitely love it. It is not a high performance skimmer but the tank I keep doesn't need heavy skimming.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My x120 eshops is working too well stripping me of nitrate and phosphate in my 30g nano. Benefit is i can feed a lot with not a lot of consequences. Havent done a water change in a few months. Sad they discontinued the skimmer
How does your venturi skimmer strips nitrates and phosphates ?

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having issues with my skimmer under performing for about 4 months. I have sought out advice from this group and the red sea group with not a lot of guidance. Issue is that I keep having to crank the gate valve (plus sign - clockwise), tighter and tighter and still can barely get anything to skim. And then other times it floods because I have the valve too open. I have been losing some corals that had been very healthy. My nitrates are too high (for me) at about 30-50.

I bought a new skimmer, but did not install it as I waited to figure out why mine wasn't working.
I finally spoke to a Red Sea representative at a local reef show. They indicated that is a sign that my pump is not performing correctly (RSK 300). I contacted the Red Sea support team, and they have helped confirm the problem and since it is under warranty, are sending me a new pump. Now I can return my new, unboxed skimmer. (I was actually excited to use the new one Aquamaxx DC02 since it is DC and allows adjustment of both the pump and the gate valve.) and, as a DC pump will be more quiet.

But, alas, money talks and $500 can come back to me. Thank you Red Sea!
I just bought the red Sea 300 it's only been running 3 days hope it's just breaking in. But it's not pulling any gunk yet. Hope I don't have that problem.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old school is ultra-clean tanks? New school is more stable parameters? What is the difference between this new school and real old school using bio-filters? Do new school reefers not use skimmers anymore?

Klaas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SKIMMERS can leave room for doubt! Well for me anyway. But how do you know if it's underperforming or not?

There could be many reasons your skimmer is underperforming like it's undersized, sump water level is too low or too high, not enough or too much air is going into it, the pump needs cleaned, the skimmer is too dirty, it's just not a good skimmer design and so on etc. But how do you really know? Your skimmer may "look" to be performing well but how do you know if it's doing the job? Maybe it's not the problem at all? Let's talk about that today!

How do you, personally, gauge whether or not your skimmer is performing correctly and not underperforming?

SKIMMER PERFORMING.jpg

My external Deltec skimmer works wonders. I cleaned it 2 days ago and you can see the dirty stuff collected in just a 2 day period. The skimmer also has an automatic cleaning system. My tank including sump is about 500 gallon.

63D141EA-1207-4130-9DEA-B0FD53620D4C.jpeg

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a skimmer is responsible for creating an unbalance in nutrient availability, not using a skimmer may be beneficial for complete remineralization and removing most DOC .
How effective is a skimmer for removing marine toxins?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back