Understanding Vibrant: Algaefix, Polixetonium Chloride / Busan 77

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a match on the ftir could you explain to me how it matches?

If anybody responds to this beyond "go and read for yourself" then I think that I might explode. Dr. RHF took the time on a post to explain light absorbed or getting through IRs, taricha took the time to overlay graphs and all of that. ...but we have to lay it out again?

Even a link to the posts is probably hand-holding a bit too much for me.

Let me be the first one, and feel free to copy and paste this: It is all in the thread. Go and read it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a match on the ftir could you explain to me how it matches?

Read post 1058 and the following few posts to see that the IR's match.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around post 717, Courtney and I discuss that IR is a standard identity test for amine polymers:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read post 1058 and the following few posts to see that the IR's match.

I only see a match from Jda vibrant to taricha vibrant, I don’t see a post matching the ftir to busan 77 or to algaefix the peaks between algaefix and vibrant seem different to the untrained eye and also don’t match. I apologise if I missed a post or was Jda ir from a busan 77 sample. it’s not labelled?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody responds to this beyond "go and read for yourself" then I think that I might explode. Dr. RHF took the time on a post to explain light absorbed or getting through IRs, taricha took the time to overlay graphs and all of that. ...but we have to lay it out again?

Let me be the first one, and feel free to copy and paste this: It is all in the thread. Go and read it.
We’re did you get the busan 77 sample from?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only see a match from Jda vibrant to taricha vibrant, I don’t see a post matching the ftir to busan 77 or to algaefix the peaks between algaefix and vibrant seem different to the untrained eye and also don’t match. I apologise if I missed a post or was Jda ir from a busan 77 sample. it’s not labelled?

The very first post of this thread shows the IR for algaefix and Vibrant on a single graph. They match. They also match the Busan 77 IR from the literature.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the one provided by Jda?

My patience is running out. You seem to intentionally be confounding things.

1. taricha match the IR (and NMR and several others things) between Vibrant and Algaefix (which has known composition).

2. LATER, JDA repeated the IR and NMR experiments for Vibrant and matched exactly what taricha got.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, these are the two that are being matched by taricha (algaefix (blue) and vibrant(red)):

1654471624809.png

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What peaks do you see in one that are not present in the other?
Am referring to this chart we’re algaefix and vibrant are side by side, in addition I was looking at charts from Roseobacticide this afternoon that seem to have a similar transmittance to algaefix and vibrant.

50C96031-3483-4D9A-90B9-828D142D9A3A.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am referring to this chart we’re algaefix and vibrant are side by side, in addition I was looking at charts from Roseobacticide this afternoon that seem to have a similar transmittance to algaefix and vibrant.

50C96031-3483-4D9A-90B9-828D142D9A3A.jpeg

Those spectra match as far as I can tell. What peaks look to you to not match?

Roseobacticide (a very different molecule) should have a different spectrum, but I do not see one on line.

Some of the peaks will match, of course, since that is how IR works, but not all of them.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spectra match as far as I can tell. What peaks look to you to not match?

Roseobacticide (a very different molecule) should have a different spectrum, but I do not see one on line.

Some of the peaks will match, of course, since that is how IR works, but not all of them.
To me I only see vibrant matching with vibrant, the algaefix seems low and different peaks. I didn’t save the ftir from roseobacticide as I didn’t wanted to get involved further in the discussion although the peaks are very similar if not identical, and there’s a few articles online that will demonstrate that you can harvest roseobacticide from bacteria.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice, hopefully your research is solid and you don’t have any reason to be concerned with the accusations you have made with little research to stand by you.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, you are such an enabler. :) Feel free to like this post since nobody will be able to misunderstand the meaning. In all honesty, I appreciate you trying to help people even if they are not capable of helping themselves. You ever wonder what the point is... even a little bit sometimes? I am starting to get there...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me I only see vibrant matching with vibrant, the algaefix seems low and different peaks. I didn’t save the ftir from roseobacticide as I didn’t wanted to get involved further in the discussion although the peaks are very similar if not identical, and there’s a few articles online that will demonstrate that you can harvest roseobacticide from bacteria.

Before saying they do not match, please read my post that I linked for you so that you can have a minimal understanding of how to match an IR. Absolute peak intensity is meaningless. Relative peak sizes within a spectrum, and location of each peak are what's important, and they match.

There is no possibility of the material in Vibrant being roseobacticide. NONE. The NMR will be totally different, and I expect the FTIR is also totally different. To your untrained eye, of course, some parts will look similar because both molecules have some of the same chemical moieties, such as C-C and C-O and C-H bonds. But they will not match in all peaks, especially in the 500-1600 cm-1 range. That region is called the fingerprint region because it is specific to a structure.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back