Undetectable levels of Nitrate and Phosphates

JediCruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used to struggle getting below 60ppm Nitrates and .25 Phosphates. This stemmed from the source water (I wasn’t used RODI). So I fixed that and I started dosing NoPox. Well now I’ve been at undetectable levels of both for a while even after lowering the dosing of NoPox. Granted I’m using the API Master Reef Kit so I may still have some of each but that kit can’t pick them up. Any advice on getting it a little higher? I have a mixed reef and I know undetectable are not good and my corals are staying to show it with the paleness in color. FYI: I have a Refugium as well

My thoughts:

No more NoPox (may add it in smaller doses if the levels go above what I want)
Increase the amount of feeding to the corals and/or fish
(Least desirable) start dosing NO3 and PO4

Any others?

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase the feeding, and also slow down the nopox. Tapering off over a period of time (a week or 10 days) would be better than cold turkey stop IMO.

Turning off your skimmer part of each day will also raise the levels.

happyhourzhao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase feeding should help like others suggested, even use a pinch of coral/processed food to raise those levels over time. I heard Reef-Roid raises phosphates level for a specific approach.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good success through in/out regulation and have progressed to heavy in/out.

My ins are typically food/waste and out is filtration and water changes.

Dry foods are heavier in PO4 and wet/frozen foods heavier in NO3.

My outs are coral/algae, roller mat (mechanical filtration), refugium (biological uptake of NO3/PO4), a skimmer (mostly used for pH regulation but provides some nutrient export) , and 1% daily AWC.

Maturity of the tank is also critical for regulation as new substrate and rock can act like a PO4 sponge. Also, if you don't have enough coral/algae, you are missing a key nutrient out mechanism,

Generally speaking, I monitor PO4/NO3 once a week now and have been tweaking my dry vs wet/frozen feedings to maintain stable NO3/PO4 levels.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love API kits for alk and Ca, and the ammonia kit is fine for cycling. But for nitrates and phosphates, you really need different kits. There is no way in heck I would dose phosphates into a system without using one of the Hanna ULR checkers.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back