Unexpected drop in alk

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Wondering what's going on with my tank. My trident has tested a sudden drop in alk and magnesium over the last two days. Calcium has held steady. Not sure what has prompted this and if I should take a corrective action.

DKH normally hovers just over 8, usually between the 8-8.25 range. Last two days it's slumped to just under 7. Hanna checker confirms the reduction (although disagrees with the trident about the exact value).

Tank stats:
65 gallons
Corals: 3 types of euphyllia, candy cane, duncan, mushrooms, 2 toadstools, a large green singular, gsp
Stocking: 2 dwarf angles, 3 cardinalfish, 2 clowns, royal gramma, large bubble tip anemone, blue maxima claim
CUC: lots of snails, 4 rock boring urchins, and a healthy amount of bristleworms, and sponges, fuge with cheato and pods
Dosing: Triton method, 6ml/day, neophos 45ml/day (.28ppm/day), esv nitrate 2.8ppm/day, reef energy ab+ 24ml/day, 50ml phyto, chaetogro 8ml/day
Feeding: flake automatic feeder 2x/day, plus 1 cube of frozen mysis/day

Nitrates read around 8ppm, phosphates test between 0.00ppm and 0.03ppm (trying to raise to 0.10ppm to fight dinos)

I made two changes prior to seeing the drop, I moved the input/output of the UV from the sump to the display and removed the GFO from the reactor (it's running, but empty), I also replaced the carbon in the reactor.

Should I increase my dosing? Is something bad going on?

hgWfriM.png

OP
OP
malfist

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I double posted this. Could a mod delete this one?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the drop took just under 3 days. It could just be an increase in Alk/Ca demand. Was there a change in pH? If you have Increased pH this usually correlates with increased Alk/Ca demand.

OP
OP
malfist

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH doesn't seem changed much from the regular swings it sees with the light schedule. It does seem like it's peeks and valleys moved up by ~0.05 pH which is probably within the margin of error for the probes

OP
OP
malfist

malfist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found the issue! The line from the doser had came disconnected!

Back