Unexpected (for me) Neon Goby Burrowing

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new tank and my first two fish were a pair of golden (I assume, stripe does not join at head so not sure) Neon Gobies. One is tiny tiny. Plays in the rockwork. Very personable. My large one (relatively, about 2") has unexpectedly created an entire network of tunnels under one of the rocks. I am glad I have the aquascape settled on glass, those tunnels go to the bottom!

IMG_1546.jpg

Here you see two burrows. It likes to watch from that hole, it can glare at the shrimp from there. There are burrows on all sides. It spent its first 3-4 days on the glass but now I never see it's whole body. I think it found a gap in the rocks that was not filled with sand.

Is this normal for Neon Gobies? I didn't think this was their thing, I thought they were more into perching on the rockwork.

Now I wish I had not put a top on the stand, I would be able to see underneath whats going on in there. Probably has cable.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really tell what species that is. It is a cleaner goby, but not *the* cleaner goby (Elacatinus oceanops). I don't see a yellow dot on its snout that would indicate it is a Elacatinus xanthiprora. It looks more like a Elacatinus horsti, but I don't think that species is being bred in captivity, and I'm guessing this one was (most in the trade now days are CB). Either way, it is probably one of the sponge dwelling species. My guess is that since these live in the lumens of tube sponges, it doesn't feel comfortable living out in the open, and has made a burrow for itself. As long as it comes out to feed, I'd just let it be!

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new tank and my first two fish were a pair of golden (I assume, stripe does not join at head so not sure) Neon Gobies. One is tiny tiny. Plays in the rockwork. Very personable. My large one (relatively, about 2") has unexpectedly created an entire network of tunnels under one of the rocks. I am glad I have the aquascape settled on glass, those tunnels go to the bottom!

IMG_1546.jpg

Here you see two burrows. It likes to watch from that hole, it can glare at the shrimp from there. There are burrows on all sides. It spent its first 3-4 days on the glass but now I never see it's whole body. I think it found a gap in the rocks that was not filled with sand.

Is this normal for Neon Gobies? I didn't think this was their thing, I thought they were more into perching on the rockwork.

Now I wish I had not put a top on the stand, I would be able to see underneath whats going on in there. Probably has cable.

I have a copy of Patrick Colin's 1975 TFH book on neon gobies. I re-read it just now, and he has photos of Elacatinus gobies in aquariums that built caves in aquarium gravel under rocks in lieu of having a sponge to live in, so I think that confirms this is normal for them in captivity (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
ChrisNH

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, thats good to know!
built caves in aquarium gravel under rocks in lieu of having a sponge to live in

Thank you! Its a really cool behavior, I certainly would not interfere with it! Its like having a little eel. My rock is seated on the glass so its no worry. All our animals have really interesting behaviors, this tank has been very rewarding thus far.

The larger one seems to be a different species then the tiny one, the tiny one has the band across the nose. Both arrived as pairs but one of each did not survive. Digger is the one on the right, the one on the left never ate and did not survive.

IMG_1518.jpg

The small one has similar coloration but has the nose stripe. It was 1/2" when we got it, it has already gotten noticeably larger.

IMG_1512.jpg

Maybe the stripe changes as they age? It will be fun to watch.

ed: I hope he doesn't get flushed out of it when my bristleworms arrive

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChrisNH

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the fish in the pic has doubled in size, it is 4-5" now. Most nights it digs out a huge chunk of the sand bed. It has vertical stripes to go with the original horizontal stripes. I push the sand back (I leave his main hangout alone). It travels around the tank at night but during the day it stays in its burrow except for feeding when it kinda eels out to get food.

Really wondering what I have here and how big its going to get.

1604515269285.png

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not a neon goby. Those are engineer gobies. Notorious borrowers.

OP
OP
ChrisNH

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not a neon goby. Those are engineer gobies. Notorious borrowers.

I had realized it was not a neon and had assumed it was a cleaner. Guess not.

Those get big. It looks like I will be upgrading my tank sooner then later.. great fish though. Fortunately all my rockwork is set on the glass.

edit: Should mention my favorite behavior of his is how he will stick his head out of a tunnel in the rock by the side of the tank where I do the food to stare at the defrosting dish.. same thing my cat does.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back