Unexpected STN of small colony - with bonus critter ID needed

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happened to check my tank last night with a flashlight (who doesn't?) and noticed for the first time an area at the base of a BC Grapejuice colony that had bleached with tissue recession. I'd been away for the weekend, but think I would have noticed it last time I looked, which was Thursday. Checking my parameters this morning I did have a low alk reading at 6.8, down from last Wednesday which was 7.9 dKH. I have not had any other changes to the tank physically or the water parameters.

There is a small critter moving on the exposed skeleton. As near as I can tell this appears to be some type of pod and not a flatworm of any type.

This rock cannot be removed to dip or try to superglue. Right now I plan to monitor and if it grows further I'm guessing my only option will be to frag healthy branches and epoxy over the damaged tissue, unless anyone else has a positive STN experience they can share to give me encouragement.

TN42xvzl.jpg

Bbbeuual.jpg

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like rtn to me. It’s really hard to see what that critter is. It almost looks like a tiny baby crab, but I’m just guessing. I honestly have no idea what it is. I would think if it was feeding off the coral it would be on the healthy tissue, which it appeared to be deliberately avoiding in the video. Hopefully someone can chime in who has experience with those.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to coral vendor that has luck dosing good bacteria, he uses Brightwell microbacter, along with a UV sterilizer to stop rtn

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to coral vendor that has luck dosing good bacteria, he uses Brightwell microbacter, along with a UV sterilizer to stop rtn

I currently run UV. As far as slow vs. rapid, I guess I need a better description of which is which. I thought RTN will kill a coral in a matter of days. I just took a photo at lunch, contrasted heavily to see the outline, and it doesn't look like it has advanced much from last night.

xomP3o7l.jpg

I'd need to know more abou the Brightwell product before I ever consider dosing the tank with it. Dosing products scares me more than having my coral stn or rtn. :eek:

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run UV. As far as slow vs. rapid, I guess I need a better description of which is which. I thought RTN will kill a coral in a matter of days. I just took a photo at lunch, contrasted heavily to see the outline, and it doesn't look like it has advanced much from last night.

xomP3o7l.jpg

I'd need to know more abou the Brightwell product before I ever consider dosing the tank with it. Dosing products scares me more than having my coral stn or rtn. :eek:
That’s just the one this vendor has been using. I haven’t tried this method because I haven’t experience any rtn recently. The theory is the good bacteria will out compete the bad bacteria. In my experience rtn is anytime when the tissue start peeling off but can take several hours or even days to complete. Stn usually creeps from the base, uniformly and circumferentially.
The bacteria idea was just something I recently learned about from a reputable vendor who has had success with this method. Not a lot of success stories out there dealing with rtn.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL - I've been on here long enough to know we definately have regulars who browse at different times of the day. We get so many posts an hour you'd never knew it was there! :)
I know you would like some other input, but how is it looking now? Any changes?

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you would like some other input, but how is it looking now? Any changes?

The side facing me that I photographed seems not to have advanced. However, when I look from the rear between the branches I can see it expanding in that direction, so it is still actively degrading. I'll give it another day and then I'm going to chop some large frags off while I still can.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would superglue the exposed skeleton and overlap onto the good tissue ASAP. When tissue is sloughing off like that I think it will continue like a snowball. You’re probably going to be fragging it soon though. In my experience, the glue thing only works when you can’t see hunks of flesh hanging on like in your pic. I would call that RTN based on that.

Hope it recovers for you, I got my fingers crossed for a recovery:)

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would superglue the exposed skeleton and overlap onto the good tissue ASAP. When tissue is sloughing off like that I think it will continue like a snowball. You’re probably going to be fragging it soon though. In my experience, the glue thing only works when you can’t see hunks of flesh hanging on like in your pic. I would call that RTN based on that.

I appreciate that. Unfortunately I glued this on my main base rock, so I can't pull it to super glue it right. If by some miracle it doesn't slow down or stop tomorrow, I'll be back to frags and I'll epoxy over the remaining diseased encrustment. This acro grew very fast for me, however, It's only about 10 mos to a year old.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you man:mad:. I’ve been through a slow crash and know the feeling watching things go up in smoke. It’s almost paralyzing trying to be patient, and at the same time trying to decide how best to help.

Best of luck, hope it works out.

hafer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Works wonders! I've used tooth picks to apply the super glue to a colonys base.... may be worth it to find a "throw away" applicator. Under water the super glue will for a skin. All you need to do is pierce the glue bubble kn the skeleton or rock. Good luck

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright - the time has come. I'm still seeing RTN progression at the base.

I managed to chip a small hole in the area where the original plug was glued down. This allowed me to force a screwdriver under and incredibly the entire colony came up intact!

lTPTDISl.jpg

You can see the areas remaining on the colony that has tissue recession. The majority of it, however, remained behind on the rock:

4M1u4V2l.jpg

9Xk0mn9l.jpg

Qza7mITl.jpg

VF9zMHAl.jpg

mbgclFIl.jpg

I capped the diseased and even the healthy tissue that remained encrusted on the rock with epoxy putty:

wYImuYjl.jpg

Using a pair of scissors to fray the end of a plastic drinking straw I made a makeshift disposable super glue brush, then used it to paint over any areas on the colony with visible damage. I made sure to coat past the diseased spots about a 1/4" into healthy tissue.

Ae8mpJ7l.jpg

ejGWDwal.jpg

JByv2wEl.jpg

5twzEvXl.jpg

7OXSAx3l.jpg

I placed it temporarily on the bottom of the tank to give the epoxy time to cure, and to be able to check the colony in a few days to ensure the RTN/STN had been effectively stopped. If I see more reappearing, I'll cut into chunky frags and put it on the rack. Otherwise I plan to mount it back in its original position.

fjFbOztl.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright - the time has come. I'm still seeing RTN progression at the base.

I managed to chip a small hole in the area where the original plug was glued down. This allowed me to force a screwdriver under and incredibly the entire colony came up intact!

lTPTDISl.jpg

You can see the areas remaining on the colony that has tissue recession. The majority of it, however, remained behind on the rock:

4M1u4V2l.jpg

9Xk0mn9l.jpg

Qza7mITl.jpg

VF9zMHAl.jpg

mbgclFIl.jpg

I capped the diseased and even the healthy tissue that remained encrusted on the rock with epoxy putty:

wYImuYjl.jpg

Using a pair of scissors to fray the end of a plastic drinking straw I made a makeshift disposable super glue brush, then used it to paint over any areas on the colony with visible damage. I made sure to coat past the diseased spots about a 1/4" into healthy tissue.

Ae8mpJ7l.jpg

ejGWDwal.jpg

JByv2wEl.jpg

5twzEvXl.jpg

7OXSAx3l.jpg

I placed it temporarily on the bottom of the tank to give the epoxy time to cure, and to be able to check the colony in a few days to ensure the RTN/STN had been effectively stopped. If I see more reappearing, I'll cut into chunky frags and put it on the rack. Otherwise I plan to mount it back in its original position.

fjFbOztl.jpg
Nice glue skills! I have a good feeling it will work! I had to do the same to my slimer 2 months ago. It’s back to looking good and growing great now. Have faith!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back