Unexplained rise in magnesium

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I tested the water in my frag/QT tank. I have 1 stylophora, 1 birds nest, 1 chalice and 3 zoa frags in there. Yesterday morning, my dkH was at 6.4, Ca was 390, Mg was 1400. I dosed dKH and CA and re tested a few hours later. The re test showed 7.8 dKH, Ca 460 and Mg 1400. To see what the levels did in 24 hours, I tested again tonight 24 hours later without dosing to see consumption. They read 7dKH, 440 Ca, and 1600 Mg. Could dosing dKH and Ca from Red Sea cause the rise in Mg? I've dosed dKH and Ca in the past with this same result. Re tested a day later and it was back to 1400. I didn't test twice tonight, but I tested twice the last time it happened. Any idea what Is happening here? My Ph has been steady at 8.2 every test.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 200 point swing in Mg in 24 hours is pretty unlikely (Mg is typically the most stable of the 3 commonly dosed ions). I would guess maybe an error in test results. As for Red Sea, I don't really know anything about dosing their products (never used them), but it's possible that Mg my be included in one of their 2-part products (would most likely be in the Ca component if at all). Best bet is to contact RS and ask them.

OP
OP
P

PasoFish89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 200 point swing in Mg in 24 hours is pretty unlikely (Mg is typically the most stable of the 3 commonly dosed ions). I would guess maybe an error in test results. As for Red Sea, I don't really know anything about dosing their products (never used them), but it's possible that Mg my be included in one of their 2-part products (would most likely be in the Ca component if at all). Best bet is to contact RS and ask them.
I think it's likely an error as well, I'll test again in the morning. They have a 3 part system, Alk, Ca, and Mg. I just didn't dose the Mg since 1400 seemed fine to me. I'm tempted to get a different test kit as well to see if their test kit and dosing products are interacting or something.

Edited for spelling.

SDLlama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you're using a Red Sea magnesium test, it's most likely testing error. I've found the Red Sea test kit to regularly return inaccurately high magnesium results. The few times I've had it read in the window of what I assume to be accurate, and was roughly in line with other test kit results, was only when testing freshly mixed saltwater. I've not experienced this phenomenon with other magnesium test kits.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back