Unhappy filefish ?

Duggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I got this, what I think to be is a filefish. If he's not eating which seems to be his only interest , he's all over up against the glass like he's trying to get out. And he's done this since the first day I got him months ago. My aquariums 55 gal, he's about 2 1/4". Is he to big for the aquarium? My waters good. I have 4 other smaller fish, they just swim around hang around the rocks. None bother him. Never had a fish do this before. Any thoughts,
1628651450705377902171780993096.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) I am laughing WITH you, not AT you...

I have had several Aptasia Eating Filefish (as they are commonly called). That fish looks similar— but can’t tell exactly from the photo. Anyway, unless they are actively swimming— which they don’t do all that much, percentage of the time-wise— they will strike all sorts of odd poses. They will float around at angles and rest with their ‘nose’ up against things, you will think their balance is all messed up. But if otherwise healthy, it’s normal for them. Best wishes!

OP
OP
Duggie

Duggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) I am laughing WITH you, not AT you...

I have had several Aptasia Eating Filefish (as they are commonly called). That fish looks similar— but can’t tell exactly from the photo. Anyway, unless they are actively swimming— which they don’t do all that much, percentage of the time-wise— they will strike all sorts of odd poses. They will float around at angles and rest with their ‘nose’ up against things, you will think their balance is all messed up. But if otherwise healthy, it’s normal for them. Best wishes!
Thanks jumbo shrimp, yes he does swim around oddly, facing straight down most of the time. Well that gives me some relief. It's really been bothering me.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah— The ‘face down’ part used to really freak me out too, until I learned that that’s their little special thing. Lol. A great fish overall. It makes them unique.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back