Unintentional Phyto?

chimbo84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have a QT that I use for observation only. No medications or copper go into this tank and I run it like a typical nano meaning it has mechanical and biological filtration in the rear chambers. It’s heated and lit.

When I moved my last fish to the DT, I realized it has started to accumulate a healthy population of Amphipods and I wanted to try culturing them. I throw a few pellets in there every few days just to keep up nutrient additions and eventually, the water turned bright green.

I am under the impression that tank water will turn green with phyto if you just give it nutrients and light so my question is is this phytoplankton and is it safe to dose into my DT as such? How can I verify this?

FA53920A-C5EF-4038-BE8A-329DC98ACBBB.jpeg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look for live phyto cells under a microscope. Green water isnt always phyto.
I second this and also want to point out that depending on if you have observed any pest/issues in there, it could be counterproductive to introduce that water into your display :) -Raven

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back