Uniseals ok for bottom of 55g drum?

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a saltwater mixing station and I have my 55g drums elevated a few inches off the ground. Can I use unisealls or should I buy proper bulkheads or just drill the holes near the bottom but on the side wall of the drums?

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a curved surface isn't a uniseal preferred? And if it was me I would want it on the side so I could inspect it down the road and not suck up bottom of the barrel crud over time

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here. This might help u decide

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm planning to put the two 23" diameter drums next to each other on the bottom shelf of a 48" wide shelving unit. It will be tight so I was hoping to use the space under the shelf. I can have all the plumbing and the pump out in front though. That makes sense in terms of inspection and repair.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what the few inch high shelf is made from? Steel? 55 g times 2 is a lot of weight. If it sagged it could crack piping over time.

I see no reason why you can't go from the bottom. It just makes me personally uncomfortable is all. Wherever I cannot inspect or easily get to is bound to be the place it will leak from. Just my luck

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard both. That Uniseal better for curved surface. But if a we are talking Brute trash cans, I have also heard bulkheads work just fine and are probably better to use. The debate continues...

OP
OP
SteveG_inDC

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what the few inch high shelf is made from? Steel? 55 g times 2 is a lot of weight. If it sagged it could crack piping over time.

It's a steel frame from Home Depot with wire mesh shelves, rated for 1,000 lbs per shelf. The water should weigh just under that.

55g fresh x 8.34 lbs/gallon + 55g saltwater x 8.6 lbs/gallon = 931.7. The drums each weigh 22 lbs, so that 975.7. I was thinking of putting down a piece of plywood to better distribute the weight. Yeah, cutting it close! If it causes problems I'll just lower my float valve and fill the bins to 45g each.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back