Unistrut for a floating canopy?

tr3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about to start on my T5/LED hybrid and I was thinking of using unistrut to hang it from with a wood skin around it. I was wondering if anyone has tried this before?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used it for hanging lights but it will definitely work for that application. Heck, you could stack another aquarium up there if you wanted!:p
It is metal so even though likely zinc coated it can corrode so try to keep the salt creep away from it if possible.
Show pictures when you are done with your project!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a simple box out of 1 x 10 boards with 1 x 3 for the molding and added 1 x 2 strips inside the box along the bottom edge for the fixture to sit on.
XwYkc3vl.jpg

nIlYV7wl.jpg

OP
OP
tr3

tr3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just built a simple box out of 1 x 10 boards with 1 x 3 for the molding and added 1 x 2 strips inside the box along the bottom edge for the fixture to sit on.
XwYkc3vl.jpg

nIlYV7wl.jpg
Very nice! How heavy did it turn out and how did you support it from the ceiling? Im assuming that my studs are not going to be exactly where I need them. So I was thinking I need to do some reinforcing in the attic.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm guessing it weighs somewhere around 40-50 pounds. To hang it from the ceiling I placed it on the top of the tank so I could run a plumb line from the ceiling joists to the box to know where to place the eye bolts. I got lucky and although not perfectly centered under the joists, there was a slight off center to the right, the box hung level. You'll notice in the pic if you look at the wires the one on the left is closer to the edge than the one on the right. This is on the ground floor and no attic to work with so I dodged a bullet.

To hang it from the ceiling I used 1/16th ( rated to 120 lbs. ) wire rope and crimped loops on the ends.
meuIcJwm.jpg

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back