Unknown coral

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a couple mushrooms and a few days later I noticed this small coral had hitchhiked its way into my tank. I assume it’s a coral but if anyone knows what this is let me know. I thought it was dead at first but I placed it in the tank and a couple days later noticed it started to open up a bit. Very small you can see the size comparison to the Duncan right behind it. I would say it’s no larger than a thumb tack. Any thoughts?

IMG_1070.jpeg IMG_1071.jpeg

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a type of paly.
Was thinking that or maybe a small Duncan but I’m very new to the hobby so my ID skills aren’t great. I’m hoping it’s not a paly because if I’m correct they have the ability to release palytoxins right? Something my girlfriend would like to avoid even if the risk of any harm is low

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a paly - looks similar to a captain jerk or toxic green (but ID would be easier when it’s open).
The ones closer to wild type (like this one) are toxic, but that’s more of an issue if you are actively handling it and really stressing it out (and not wearing gloves, a mask, and goggles).
If you don’t want it, get rid of it now before you have hundreds.

Btw, all of those corals will do better attached to rock vs in the sandbed. Sand typically will irritate them.

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It for sure is not another Duncan. I think for sure it is a Paly (not sure what type) and they are toxic but so are zoas. As long as you are careful with them they won't hurt you. I was the same way when I started almost 2 years ago- still a nube. They are fast growers however so careful where you place it.

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a paly - looks similar to a captain jerk or toxic green (but ID would be easier when it’s open).
The ones closer to wild type (like this one) are toxic, but that’s more of an issue if you are actively handling it and really stressing it out (and not wearing gloves, a mask, and goggles).

Btw, all of those corals will do better attached to rock vs in the sandbed. Sand typically will irritate them.
I agree with the Captain Jerk Paly as well.

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s funny you say that I actually put them all on the sand bed because I wanted to rent a par meter before moving closer to the light which I did this morning so I’m currently in the process of moving them around. I made the mistake of not researching the best sand too so I ended up getting the only sand my petco had rather than going to my lfs to save me 30 min of driving. Unfortunately all petco had was oolite and so now I deal with sand blowing around anytime I move anything.

Thinking about replacing the sand but I don’t want to disturb the tank too much since it’s only about 2 months old and just recently finished cycling. Any thoughts on if I should keep the sand or replace it? If I should replace it any thoughts on the best way to do it? Thanks for the help

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It for sure is not another Duncan. I think for sure it is a Paly (not sure what type) and they are toxic but so are zoas. As long as you are careful with them they won't hurt you. I was the same way when I started almost 2 years ago- still a nube. They are fast growers however so careful where you place it.
Yeah I’m currently avoiding zoas as well. If it were up to me I’d be okay with getting both but the girlfriend is against it mostly because she’d never forgive herself if somehow our dog was exposed. Seems extremely unlikely to me, but she’s the boss at the end of the day lol I’m just happy she’s on board with having the aquarium at all

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s funny you say that I actually put them all on the sand bed because I wanted to rent a par meter before moving closer to the light which I did this morning so I’m currently in the process of moving them around. I made the mistake of not researching the best sand too so I ended up getting the only sand my petco had rather than going to my lfs to save me 30 min of driving. Unfortunately all petco had was oolite and so now I deal with sand blowing around anytime I move anything.

Thinking about replacing the sand but I don’t want to disturb the tank too much since it’s only about 2 months old and just recently finished cycling. Any thoughts on if I should keep the sand or replace it? If I should replace it any thoughts on the best way to do it? Thanks for the help
Replacing the sand really depends on both your preference and what you plan on keeping. There’s plenty of fish and inverts that benefit from a finer sandbed, but if you want to have something that will move around less, you could always mix in some larger-grain sand that will prevent the smaller grains from moving around so much.

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understandable! There are plenty to choose from that aren't toxic. What size is your tank?
It’s a homemade AIO so this is a rough estimate but before I added the AIO system in the back it was 30 gallons. I’d say it’s roughly 25 gallons for the main space and 5 for the AIO system in the back

OP
OP
V

vsciacca

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing the sand really depends on both your preference and what you plan on keeping. There’s plenty of fish and inverts that benefit from a finer sandbed, but if you want to have something that will move around less, you could always mix in some larger-grain sand that will prevent the smaller grains from moving around so much.
That’s kinda what I was thinking just wasn’t sure if it was a good or bad idea. Thanks for the advice

slav621

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but the sand depth varying is all due to my pistol shrimp... moves around sand all the time and gets on my nervessssss!! But my pistol shrimp-yasha goby pair has been my favorite relationship so far.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back