Please identify this rogue coral or nem

MisterrBee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I noticed this small pink coral when I bought a mushroom on a rock about 3 weeks ago. I always thought it was a zoa until it had moved out of his normal spot this morning. I imagine it's some sort of anemone seeing as it has moved. Can anyone identify it please.
1000029114.jpg

OP
OP
MisterrBee

MisterrBee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like a mulnourished bta..
Is it malnourished or a baby? It has generally lived just poking it's head out of the crack its in. I'll look up how to care for it. I'm a bit worried it will move round my tank killing corals.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it malnourished or a baby? It has generally lived just poking it's head out of the crack its in. I'll look up how to care for it. I'm a bit worried it will move round my tank killing corals.
BTAs don't do babys - they split, normal sizeable BTA that split would be far larger.. BTA the size of a grapefruit - is usually a normal BTA that shrunk over time due to lack of food.. I had one in my tank that re-appeared after been missing for 4 months.

You can nurture it back by giving it a small piece of food (e.g. small piece of frozen shrimp) once a week or so. It will be long before this BTA would be considered any threat to corals. BTAs also don't sting mushrooms or zoas (and maybe other soft corals).

OP
OP
MisterrBee

MisterrBee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTAs don't do babys - they split, normal sizeable BTA that split would be far larger.. BTA the size of a grapefruit - is usually a normal BTA that shrunk over time due to lack of food.. I had one in my tank that re-appeared after been missing for 4 months.

You can nurture it back by giving it a small piece of food (e.g. small piece of frozen shrimp) once a week or so. It will be long before this BTA would be considered any threat to corals. BTAs also don't sting mushrooms or zoas (and maybe other soft corals).
Good to know. Much appreciated!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back