Unknown Surface Water Collection

Cool Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I woke up this morning to a collection of "something" on the surface water at only one end of my display tank. (see pic)
I have no idea what it is. Perhaps an algae bloom? I don't know. I didn't feed anything this morning or overnight.
What is this and what is causing it? A little help please.
IMG_2968.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, what do you have in your tank? Could be a spawning...

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liquid or solid?

OP
OP
Cool Fish

Cool Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I'm thinking might be a contributing factor is that just below this area there is a rock covered with mushrooms.

yOdaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I woke up this morning to a collection of "something" on the surface water at only one end of my display tank. (see pic)
I have no idea what it is. Perhaps an algae bloom? I don't know. I didn't feed anything this morning or overnight.
What is this and what is causing it? A little help please.
IMG_2968.jpg
Following. I’m having this issue now and my tank is about 2 years old. Just gotten it. I had tried removing with a cup by skimming the top but the next day it comes back. It’s like a brown substance that almost resembles oil. But I think it’s a type of algae. As of right now I don’t know how to get rid of it. Got an update on your situation?

OP
OP
Cool Fish

Cool Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I’m having this issue now and my tank is about 2 years old. Just gotten it. I had tried removing with a cup by skimming the top but the next day it comes back. It’s like a brown substance that almost resembles oil. But I think it’s a type of algae. As of right now I don’t know how to get rid of it. Got an update on your situatio

OP
OP
Cool Fish

Cool Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't know exactly what caused this. I can only guess. Right now I am wondering if some frozen "gel" food may have been a factor. Do you use a frozen gel food?

jbholasingh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a microscope slide or any piece of non-absorbent flat thing. Blow a hole in the film with your breath and dip the slide under the surface then wait for the film to close in around it. Slowly lift the slide out of the water so the film grabs on. Finally run a white napkin down the surface of the slide (so it collects in one spot in the napkin). You may observe a color on the napkin. If it's green or yellow it's probably algae of some sort.

It may only collect in one part of the tank because powerheads blow the film from under the water into that area.

OP
OP
Cool Fish

Cool Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s different about that side of the tank? Lighting? Flow? Coral Structures beneath? Is that a dead spot (no flow) area?
That's also part of the puzzle. There really isn't a flow or lighting problem in that part of the tank. Since my original post, I haven't has this problem. And, actually, I had already taken a paper towel and collected the residue. But thanks for a good suggestion.

yOdaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's also part of the puzzle. There really isn't a flow or lighting problem in that part of the tank. Since my original post, I haven't has this problem. And, actually, I had already taken a paper towel and collected the residue. But thanks for a good suggestion.
How did you use the paper towel to get rid of it?

OP
OP
Cool Fish

Cool Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you use the paper towel to get rid of it?
I pushed part of the towel below the water line and dragged the paper on the surface trying to collect what was on the top of the water. The paper showed a brownish color similar to what you see on the surface in the original picture.

yOdaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pushed part of the towel below the water line and dragged the paper on the surface trying to collect what was on the top of the water. The paper showed a brownish color similar to what you see on the surface in the original picture.
I will try that thanks! Also was it a one time thing and it was all gone for you?

OP
OP
Cool Fish

Cool Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try that thanks! Also was it a one time thing and it was all gone for you?
Yes, but I had a much smaller collection a couple of days later. That's when I decided to stop using the gel food. Since then I have not had the problem. Also, I cleaned my powerheads to make sure I'm getting good flow.

yOdaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is gel food? Is herbivore frenzy a gel food? Now I think about it, it may had started when I started using that..

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been having the same issue with brownish oily surface film in one of my tanks and I get rid of it using the same paper towel method and more frequent water changes. I do think it’s from food and for what it’s worth, I’m feeding mostly Nano Frenzy in this tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oils in foods and additives can rise to the top like this.

Generating the water motion to carry it to an overflow is the best way to get rid of it.

FWIW, it is deterring gas exchange.

OP
OP
Cool Fish

Cool Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is gel food? Is herbivore frenzy a gel food? Now I think about it, it may had started when I started using that..
It will say on the package that it's a frozen gel food. You'll notice when it defrosts that it is not as loose as other frozen cube foods. It will retain a cube quality. Actually, I don't like the gel frozen foods and picked this one up somewhat by accident.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back