Unknown things that I haven't asked id on for months

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just have a few things that I ha ve no idea on what these are : first one is a grwyish worm without spikes. It's super small and it's as thick as my finger nails.

The second one is growing on one rock and never spread anywhere. It's like baswball bat, but slightly translucent.

Any ideas on what these are?

my phone sucks at taking macro photos, so I use my camera.

I have my eyes on my tank regularly.

20231219002643_IMG_6889.JPG 20231219001519_IMG_6884.JPG 20231219001422_IMG_6882.JPG 20231218001721_IMG_6787.JPG

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the first pic looks like a polychaete (bristleworm) of some kind to me.

With the worm in the second and third pics, I'm not entirely sure, but - given the tiny size - I'm leaning toward it being a nematode of some variety. It's most likely harmless/beneficial.

The last pic is some kind of macroalgae.

Sorry I can't be more specific here.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the first pic looks like a polychaete (bristleworm) of some kind to me.

With the worm in the second and third pics, I'm not entirely sure, but - given the tiny size - I'm leaning toward it being a nematode of some variety. It's most likely harmless/beneficial.

The last pic is some kind of macroalgae.

Sorry I can't be more specific here.
Thanks! I know that I have bristleworms in my tank and I noticed this little guy. It's ok. I had a hard time taking photos of this stick growing. And the weirdest thing that I've found is a plant rizome that appeared randomly into my tank. I thoutght that it was a piece of plastic at first.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic is a dorvilleidae worm, they only eat algae and are safe

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dorvillidae worm top pic which is reef safe and detritus worm below and a sign of either overfeeding or lack of maintenance

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice the detritus worms in my tank just crawl up the glass then they like let go and becomes a ball and floats away and my clownfish probably eats them.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice the detritus worms in my tank just crawl up the glass then they like let go and becomes a ball and floats away and my clownfish probably eats them.
That's weird. I've seen mystery snails do that just to get around, but I haven't seen any worms do that.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dorvillidae worm top pic which is reef safe and detritus worm below and a sign of either overfeeding or lack of maintenance
I cut down on feeding and I probably had skipped 2 water change as I didn't have the time to them those weeks. Detritus worms aren't that bad.

Bioloco (EasyReefs)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Buddies are all right, It's a polychaete, this species is reef safe.

Is a nematod, reef safe too. It's very strange watch a parasitics nematod free running in the acuarium.

Thats is a green macroalgae. It's possible genus Ulva and similar to Ulva intestinalis. I need a microscope and a sample to be sure with de specie identification.
Thanks! What would the nematod host if it's parasitic? I found this tiny stick growing in my tank a month or after setting it up.

Bioloco (EasyReefs)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! What would the nematod host if it's parasitic? I found this tiny stick growing in my tank a month or after setting it up.
Parasitic nematodes can be found in almost any animal or plant, but they are extremely host-specific and have a lot of trouble living outside their host. The most problematic are fish parasites, but they only pass to other fish when their host is eaten or through eggs removed from the host by feces. This is why fish prophylaxis is so important. Those of corals or other organisms do not usually cause their death and live with the host in a "symbiotic" way. Although there are exceptions, the one you have seems to be a simple harmless detritivore.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parasitic nematodes can be found in almost any animal or plant, but they are extremely host-specific and have a lot of trouble living outside their host. The most problematic are fish parasites, but they only pass to other fish when their host is eaten or through eggs removed from the host by feces. This is why fish prophylaxis is so important. Those of corals or other organisms do not usually cause their death and live with the host in a "symbiotic" way. Although there are exceptions, the one you have seems to be a simple harmless detritivore.
Thanks! I was worried about them, but I hadn't had the time to ask an id for them, so I observed them and my fish to make sure they wouldn't get infected by parasites. It's hard for me to get medication for my fish since I'm in Canada.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics of the rhizome?
20231221_200345000_iOS.png

This is a screen shot of the photo I took of my rizome. It's still in my tank and didn't change very much since I found it. I don't know how it ended in my tank as I never saw it when cycling my tank or straight after I added my 2 clowns. It showed up 2 or 3 weeks after I added my clowns in the tank.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231221_200345000_iOS.png

This is a screen shot of the photo I took of my rizome. It's still in my tank and didn't change very much since I found it. I don't know how it ended in my tank as I never saw it when cycling my tank or straight after I added my 2 clowns. It showed up 2 or 3 weeks after I added my clowns in the tank.
How far under the water is it in your tank?

As is, this is almost certainly a green macroalgae species rather than a plant (though it certainly does resemble a plant). I'm not sure what species it is, but the bamboo-tube-like segmentation is rather unique.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far under the water is it in your tank?

As is, this is almost certainly a green macroalgae species rather than a plant (though it certainly does resemble a plant). I'm not sure what species it is, but the bamboo-tube-like segmentation is rather unique.
It's at the bottom of my 33 gallon tank at the moment. Strangely, I made a dream that my tank was filled with macro algae and that my clowns are hidding in it. That forest was red and green. That was my first dream about my saltwater tank ever. And google lens told me it was a caterpillar, so I won't trust google lens to identify anything in the future. I also thought that it was some halophyte rizome or a sea grass rizome as a plant id app told me from this photo.

Bioloco (EasyReefs)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some terrestrial plant, are you sure that this frag don't droped inside the aquarium? have you other plants in your house?

If you can, with a scalpel or cutter, cut the frag lengthwise, if inside you can to differentiate fibers, is a plant, but if inside is like a gel is a algae.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back