OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some terrestrial plant, are you sure that this frag don't droped iinside the aquarium? have you other plants in your house?
I only have succulents and they don't make rizome as they propagate themselves from the mother plant's roots. I swear it just randomly appeared in my tank as I never saw it in the 5 weeks that I watched my tank cycling and when I first added my 2 clown fish. However, I do have a planted tank, but none of the plants that I have in have a rizome that looks like that.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some terrestrial plant, are you sure that this frag don't droped inside the aquarium? have you other plants in your house?

If you can, with a scalpel or cutter, cut the frag lengthwise, if inside you can to differentiate fibers, is a plant, but if inside is like a gel is a algae.
Cutting it open to be sure is a solid idea, but given the location found it's either a macroalgae or a seagrass; most seagrasses I know have whitish rhizomes, so I'd guess a macoalgae still (though I may be wrong).

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cutting it open to be sure is a solid idea, but given the location found it's either a macroalgae or a seagrass; most seagrasses I know have whitish rhizomes, so I'd guess a macoalgae still (though I may be wrong).
Thanks! I'm leaning more towards sea grass as I haven't found an image of macroalgae with that kind of rigid rizome. It was quite hard to the touch.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the aquarium have seagrass or contact with seagrass the mos probably is that the frag will be a rizome. The rizomes could be green if are expossed to the light.
I'm not even sure where is the original frag as I haven't seen any sea grass on the rocks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back