Unlocking the Mystery: Kessil vs. Radion - Coral Vibrancy Showdown!

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have others observed a decline in coral vibrancy when utilizing Kessil lights, particularly the AP9X and a360X models, compared to Radion? After transferring frags from my LFS, which uses Radions, to my Kessil-lit tank, I've noticed the colors seem less vibrant than when I initially saw them at the store. Has anyone else experienced this?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be the spectrum of light form your lights / its like buying frags online there never the same in my tank lol

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Few years back I couldn’t decide between the 360x or Radions for my 120g build. So I bought both used. A Kessil A360x and a Radion G4 Pro.

I didn’t have any fancy tools at the time so I set both so they looked “the same” color wise and found settings to get PAR super close on both. I hung them both at the recommended heights and away we went.

After 2-3 months it wasn’t even close which side was doing better. The rocks had more coralline growth and corals were doing way better under the Radion side.

Not a scientific test in any way but enough to convince me

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 3 - 360x’s brand new in 2020.

After first year one died completely.

shortly after the white light in the 2nd one stopped working. (Kessil offered me a small discount for a new one because it was not able to be repaired and out of warranty) I declined. It was a loss

3rd one I did not trust so it lit my sump rock. It lasted 2 years and died. It was on a timer and never used above 30%.

I would never buy kessil again.

Sorry long story now shortened. I switched to Radions, game changer. Love them. Bought G5s then switched to G6s just because. Great lights.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you can pick any two lights and have the same results (or not) or see what you want to see. This wasn't my case when using Kessil's. Most of the frags that I have came from tanks that were lit by Radions and they were just as vibrant if not more under Kessil's. If you're matching spectrum by eye, you're not matching anything, you need to match with something that measures the actual spectrum, so two different fixtures can be set visually, but are very different spectrum-wise. I have coral and clams under three different lights, Kessil's, Quanta Pro and metal halide, they are all vibrant and colorful, most importantly, healthy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back