OP
N

nano7g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms now gone. Now I’m dealing with cyanobacteria.

Newly added today: Trochus snail and cerith snail, a second kogi wada (more purple than pink).
Added a couple weeks ago: Purple candelabra gorgonian, a pink lemonade nepthea. I have my heart set on a Julian’s gorgonian, but still waiting to find one online.

Also, switched out the razor algae for a red bush.

My nitrates dropped to zero which has me a little worried. My ammonia is still zero. Phosphates at 0.03. Either the cyano and macroalgae is just taking up all the nutrients, or I need more livestock.
Cyano still an issue on the second week. I’m dosing Dr. Tim’s eco-balance to add more microbial diversity.

New pump: Decided to go with the AI axis 20 instead. Currently keeping it at 50%. It’s a little tight in the 3rd chamber as I have my heater in there as well. Also got the Innovative Marine spin stream nozzle. Clown goby is not liking it. Hides on the side of the rock to avoid the flow, which I really don’t think is too high, I calculate to only be 15x.

The smaller kogi wada is not growing. It’s kind of smaller lately than its largest form. I’m trying to figure out what it is. I don’t think it’s the flow. I suspect it’s the nutrients in the tank. But it might be the light as it “blooms” more when the lights are off and the house lights are the only thing illuminating the tank. But I can’t imagine it’s too high. This is my light schedule with ai prime 16hd about 12 inches from the surface of the water.
IMG_8355.PNG

I don’t think adding copepods helped. I don’t see them anywhere and suspect the goby ate them all up or they’re trapped in the filter media.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nano7g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see those new corals you've added! The Koji Wada are always gorgeous
Certainly! Will try to get a photo after my next water change, but I'm actually dealing with my nepthea regressing. My nitrates are consistently 0 for the past week, so I need to fix this issue to see if they recover. Turns out, I can't ignore cyano in the ugly phase (monopolizes the nutrients). Dosed some neo-nitro a couple days ago and they perked up a bit. Will see if they recover by end of week as I try to up my numbers a bit.

OP
OP
N

nano7g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks shots of my cyanobacteria bed from last week. Also you can see the size and color difference between the new kogi wada that I got from an LFS labeled as a “leather coral” compared to the smaller one I got online. Pic of the pink lemonade nepthea as well. Also ordered a diffuser for my ai prime which is coming today.

I think I may be getting a handle on the cyano by stirring up the sand bed for the past couple days, burying the cyano and releasing the detrius to get taken up by the filter, and dosing nitrogen which keeps bottoming out. Did my weekly water change yesterday and this morning has seen no sign of the cyano bed. Will check again when I get home and update in a couple days. Was planning a black out but there might not be a need.
IMG_8390.jpeg
IMG_8391.jpeg IMG_8335.jpeg

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with spinstream right? I haven't had a single one lol. I turned my axis 20 up to 50 percent last week as well lol.glad everything is getting better.

OP
OP
N

nano7g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks shots of my cyanobacteria bed from last week. Also you can see the size and color difference between the new kogi wada that I got from an LFS under as a “leather coral” compared to the smaller one i got online. Pic of the pink lemonade nepthea as well. Also ordered a diffuser for my ai prime which is coming today.

I think I may be getting a handle on the cyano by stirring up the sand bed, burying the cyano and releasing the detrius to get taken up by the filter, and dosing nitrogen which keeps bottoming out. Did my weekly water yesterday and this morning, no sign of the cyano bed. Will check again when i get home and update in a couple days. Was planning a black out but there might not be a need.
IMG_8390.jpeg

No issues with spinstream right? I haven't had a single one lol. I turned my axis 20 up to 50 percent last week as well lol.glad everything is getting better.
No issues. Works great. But Im worried about the corner right underneath the spin stream though. Thats where detritus collects the most as the nozzle pushes the water in a clockwise pattern but gets pulled into the return before water circulates back to that corner. Thinking of a wavemaker if I still have issue with the cyano, but hoping not as i want to minimize equipment as much as possible

The axis 20 works great too but i cant figure out how to take it apart to clean it. Have you? I can take the bottom cage off but all the parts seem immovable.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues. Works great. But Im worried about the corner right underneath the spin stream though. Thats where detritus collects the most as the nozzle pushes the water in a clockwise pattern but gets pulled into the return before water circulates back to that corner. Thinking of a wavemaker if I still have issue with the cyano, but hoping not as i want to minimize equipment as much as possible

The axis 20 works great too but i cant figure out how to take it apart to clean it. Have you? I can take the bottom cage off but all the parts seem immovable.
There is video on BRS that shows how in review. As long as it gets kicked around it can eventually work itself to the overflow. If it's stuck in corner, you can always just syphon that area if reachable to clean.

OP
OP
N

nano7g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week I went full lights blackout for 4 nights to handle the cyano issue. Also adding Dr Tim’s Waste Away bacteria to handle the detritus. In the mean time, I’ve added some copepods and phytoplankton to add some diversity. The copepods survived. This time around I acclimated the copepods. While looking at them with my magnifying glass, I realized I had microscopic planaria about half the size of a copepod. Haven’t been able to get much information if they’re a danger to the tank or normal. They’re not the usual ones I see that suffocate corals, but at the same time they might just be juvenile. Either way, I treated the tank with Salifert Flatworm Exit just a few hours ago. Nothing effected in the tank. I still spotted one flatworm but will need to do this weekly for the next few weeks to eradicate them.

Also got my filter from 3D reefing for my AI prime. While I was getting the Flatworm Exit, I decided to get a blue porcelain crab as well. It’s hiding right now so close-ups yet.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back