UNS R120 main drain leaking

QuinnLee512

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2021
Messages
650
Reaction score
225
Location
Austin
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just got a new R120. I can't seem to get the main drain to not leak. The rubber seal is in there. Do I just need to get a strap tool and tighten more? @UNS_Brandon @UNS_Parker
 
20260828_110132~2.jpg
 
The leak is at the union? Can you check to make sure that the o-ring is properly seated inside of the groove and that there is no foreign material that might be keeping it from making a clean seal?
 
Yes at the union. I checked for the o-ring last night and it's there. I'll do another check. I've tightened it as much as I can by hand.
 
Yes, make sure the O ring is in the grove...also, don't over tighten the union...by hand is plenty.
 
Yeah that's why I'm confused. I've tightened it pretty well by hand
 
If you unscrew the union from both the bulkhead connected to the tank and the bulkhead on the sump, then screw in the bulkhead pictured above first, does that make any difference?
 
Haven't tried that. I assume I would need to vacuum out all the water in the overflow?
 
You will have a little bit that drips, but not too much more than what drains into the sump after turning the return pump off.
 
The pipe doesn't seem to align.
20260828_142206.jpg
 
For comparison the emergency drain looks pretty aligned.
20260828_142159.jpg
 
Last edited:
The issue appears to be with the long pipe.
20260828_143123.jpg
 
I think I figured it out. I loosened the front white screw so that the plate lifts up a little.
20260828_145113.jpg
 
That will work temporarily, but we can send you a bulkhead replacement that is a bit longer. Do you mind sending me an email to [email protected]? I can help you out.
 
Done. Really appreciate the excellent after sales support.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 23.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new