- Joined
- Apr 28, 2025
- Messages
- 14
- Reaction score
- 1
- Location
- USA
- What state or country do you live in
- New York
Good Afternoon
I have been running a Saltwater aquarium now for about 2 years. 125 gallon tank. All equipment besides gyro is running in the sump. I would consider it heavily stocked.
I have a K1-200 protein skimmer
2 media reactors, one is running GFO-HC. Currently phosphates are .1 . I just replaced GFO so it is more elevated than normal but I don’t have an issue with phosphates.
The second media reactor is running TL-Reefs premium bio pellets. It has been 3 months and the pellets are not slimy. I have seeded than dosed with microbacter 7 for 2 weeks following on 2 separate occasions. I will attach a video here, my big question is if I have enough flow going through the pellets. I did have an incident with power and it flickered a dozen times causing some GFO to backflow into pellets. That’s the small particles there. Got most out. Nitrates is about 20 ppm right now. Mixing RODI water now for water change. I make my own and pre mix in a 75 gallon aquarium.
The second question is about my alkalinity. For the life of me I cannot get my kalkwasser reactor to maintain. I am running a Reef Octopus KS-100 kalkwasser reactor. I was running it for 5 minutes every 2 hours. But my kalkwasser seems to deplete in 3-4 days and alkalinity drops to base of about 7.2
I just reduced the frequency to 15 minutes every 6 hours. Maybe I am disturbing it a little too much.
Any info or advice would be very appreciated.
Thank You!
I have been running a Saltwater aquarium now for about 2 years. 125 gallon tank. All equipment besides gyro is running in the sump. I would consider it heavily stocked.
I have a K1-200 protein skimmer
2 media reactors, one is running GFO-HC. Currently phosphates are .1 . I just replaced GFO so it is more elevated than normal but I don’t have an issue with phosphates.
The second media reactor is running TL-Reefs premium bio pellets. It has been 3 months and the pellets are not slimy. I have seeded than dosed with microbacter 7 for 2 weeks following on 2 separate occasions. I will attach a video here, my big question is if I have enough flow going through the pellets. I did have an incident with power and it flickered a dozen times causing some GFO to backflow into pellets. That’s the small particles there. Got most out. Nitrates is about 20 ppm right now. Mixing RODI water now for water change. I make my own and pre mix in a 75 gallon aquarium.
The second question is about my alkalinity. For the life of me I cannot get my kalkwasser reactor to maintain. I am running a Reef Octopus KS-100 kalkwasser reactor. I was running it for 5 minutes every 2 hours. But my kalkwasser seems to deplete in 3-4 days and alkalinity drops to base of about 7.2
I just reduced the frequency to 15 minutes every 6 hours. Maybe I am disturbing it a little too much.
Any info or advice would be very appreciated.
Thank You!
