Unstoppable GHA, how can it be elimanated

nicisareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2025
Messages
79
Reaction score
43
Location
booragoon
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had gha in my fluval 32.5 gallon for over 1 year now and I can't find a way to stop it. I've tried manual removal, upgrading the protein skimmer, getting a urchin and nothing works. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
 
I use manual removal, both removing a rock and scubbing it in a container of aquarium water (if practicle depending on what else is growing on it) and using steel straws, and urchins. FWIW, this is the same basic method used by NOAA to remediate algae issues in Kaneohe Bay in Hawai'i.

It can take time, but it's what has worked best for me for decades. Rock urchins are my preffered urchin but any of the short spined ones work well.
 
@nicisareefer
Not sure I have tips for you as I have been reefing for 55yrs and I have some GHA. Manual removal has always worked best for me.

Let’s see a full tank shot with white light.

Please list livestock & cuc in the tank.

What are your parameters?

Please describe your biofiltration.

What other nutrient export besides protein skimmer?
 
Last edited:
I use manual removal, both removing a rock and scubbing it in a container of aquarium water (if practicle depending on what else is growing on it) and using steel straws, and urchins. FWIW, this is the same basic method used by NOAA to remediate algae issues in Kaneohe Bay in Hawai'i.

It can take time, but it's what has worked best for me for decades. Rock urchins are my preffered urchin but any of the short spined ones work well.
Kudoes to steel straw link. I especially liked the “hydro mechanics” tip about creating more vacuum at point of application by using larger diameter syphon hose.
 
For me, I increase the flow, I increase water changes and manual removal, and I increase the algae grazing snails. I stop feeding pellets and flakes and feed only frozen after rinsing it. IMO Its really about limiting the nutrients and docs so algae can't thrive, then removing the bulk of it manually so the algae grazers can mow down whats left.

As mentioned above, please share more details on your tank and some tank pictures.
 
Remove as much as you can buy hand and then buy a solid CUC to take care of the rest.
 
If you have the money turf scrubbers work well I ran an icecap a couple years and it worked really well. However eventually you won't need it anymore and resale value on them isn't high.
 
While I can't offer any solutions for elimination, I can say that I have kept mature live rock covered in GHA in brute cans for months (in between switching tanks) in total darkness (occasional overhead basements lights) with 0 phosphates and nitrates and it not only survived but it flourished. I think we have lots to learn about its' survivability lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new