Up-sizing Diameter of Return Plumbing - Need Advice Please

Dai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180G tank and have recently purchased a Jebao DCT 18,000 return pump. The fitting for the pump is 1-1/2". My current return plumbing is 1".

I am planning on building a manifold to run my UV sterilizer, algae scrubber, and carbon reactor. My problem is that when I shut off the tank my sump fills with water to a level that I am not comfortable exceeding.

My return line T's into the display tank at the top and I have a hole on the right side drilled at the top of the water line. If I up-size to 1-1/2" there should be more water draining into the tank right? How do I keep this from happening without adding a check valve?

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand you correctly, you want to add a return manifold but don't want to increase the water volume in the plumbing?

I run a dct 15000 return pump with a manifold for my skimmer and some expansion I'm not currently using. I don't know of anyway to keep that from draining back with the pump off. It's not very much water though compared to the drain side with the pump off.

IMG_20180803_224020.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand you correctly, you want to add a return manifold but don't want to increase the water volume in the plumbing?

I run a dct 15000 return pump with a manifold for my skimmer and some expansion I'm not currently using. I don't know of anyway to keep that from draining back with the pump off. It's not very much water though compared to the drain side with the pump off.

IMG_20180803_224020.jpg
Thanks for the reply, maybe I need to focus on the drain to make sure it is draining as little as possible into the sump.

I have a center overflow and I believe the drain is an 1-1/2" or 2" single drain with holes drilled around the sides of the top portion. This is to keep it from gurgling. The holes go down the drain at least a couple inches so it allows water in the overflow to drain down to the bottom of those holes. My center overflow is kind of small. so I'm not sure what else I can do?...

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you already have a siphon break. So that option is already in use.
My thoughts are:
Lower the water level in your sump so it can hold more back flow.
Add some sort of extra tank plumbed to your sump.
If you come out of the pump with 1 1/2 and then reduce this to 1. Make your manifold out of the smallest pvc as possible. This will reduce the amount of water in the pipes.
Thats all I got....

OP
OP
D

Dai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you already have a siphon break. So that option is already in use.
My thoughts are:
Lower the water level in your sump so it can hold more back flow.
Add some sort of extra tank plumbed to your sump.
If you come out of the pump with 1 1/2 and then reduce this to 1. Make your manifold out of the smallest pvc as possible. This will reduce the amount of water in the pipes.
Thats all I got....

Thanks for the advice Lapin. I was thinking about connecting another container to the sump and using it for a deep sand bed. I really don't want to downsize the plumbing as I am looking to make the system as efficient as it can be. Less pressure in the plumbing will allow me to run the return pump at a lower power level.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump looks to be ~30-40 gallons? First, why do you need such a big return pump? ~4000 gallon per hour flow seems like too much for a sump that size. Second it looks like you have a lot of room in your stand, I would go for a bigger sump. My sump is a converted 75 gallon tank and I still want a bigger one.

OP
OP
D

Dai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump looks to be ~30-40 gallons? First, why do you need such a big return pump? ~4000 gallon per hour flow seems like too much for a sump that size. Second it looks like you have a lot of room in your stand, I would go for a bigger sump. My sump is a converted 75 gallon tank and I still want a bigger one.

My wife is going to love that recommendation...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back