Updating Wifi to new provider

BanditMan15

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2020
Messages
222
Reaction score
48
Location
Moore
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find anything on issue I was having.

We switched providers today and I'm trying to update to Spectrum Wifi. I have reset my apex brain and is blue and have switched to the apex setup. However I still can not connect to apex.local as well as 172.16.01.1 and I am just getting blank screen and please reload. Any help would be appreciated ! Regards.
 
Is there a reason you could not setup the new router with the same names and passwords as the old router had? That what I do when replacing the router. That way all my devices on wifi will log in as they did on the old router without changing anything on them. I have over 40 devices. I would rather change one device than 40.
 
I went from ATT to Spectrum so I'm not sure how using their router?
 
I went from ATT to Spectrum so I'm not sure how using their router?
I have my own router and just use their cable modem. There should be a way to change the name and password in the Spectrum router but not sure how since it has been a long time since I used a Spectrum router.They may have something on their website on how to change those settings if you have the name and password for the old router so you can change those to the old settings.
 
Yea so I just did the same thing. My Apex is in Blue ( wifi ) connect phase and i still can't connect to local or ip address or anything.
 
Now my new Spectrum Matches ATT ...name and password. Still can't get into anything. I think im doing something just easy and forgetting lol brain fart
 
If you're using the same WIFI "name" /SSID, it should work.

The issue that it might be is complicated. Most, if not all of our reefing stuff is 2.4g, newer wifi is 5g. If the new wifi device can't connect 2.4g stuff via the same SSID, you've got issues.

In general you have to set up two wifi networks. One for 5, one for 2.4. Split them up, use the original name for the 2.4, use the new wifi name for the 5, for your devices that support 5 you'll have to connect them to the new wifi network, but this should fix the issue.
 
Now my new Spectrum Matches ATT ...name and password. Still can't get into anything. I think im doing something just easy and forgetting lol brain fart
That is odd. I got a new router in December and I have several cameras and controllers that connect to it A little over 40 in all and when I set it up I set it up on the same channels with the same names and password. I then disconnected the old router and replaced it with a new on and everything connected back up without any issues. Even my wifi power strips connected back up without have to change anything on those. I cannot help with the Apex side since I do not use Apex but the controllers I do have each controller had to have the wifi setup in each and I have 15 of them. The reason I replaced the router was the wifi power strips would have communication issues with the controllers about 2 to 3 times a week. Since replacing the router I have not had an issue with them.
 
In your first comment you said you reset your Apex brain. That might have erased your previous wifi credentials. You might have to go through the config process again. Also 2.4ghz vs. 5ghz makes a difference. Most gear uses 2.4ghz.
 
Honestly that's why I got a new router as well. I was loosing communication every other day. Does my DHCP need to be enabled?
 
I tried to redo all the credentials however I can't get into Apex.local it's just a blank screen.
 
Honestly that's why I got a new router as well. I was loosing communication every other day. Does my DHCP need to be enabled?
I do not have an Apex but I do have WiFi equipment and I am a network guy so my advice is not specific to Apex.

Yes, DHCP should be enabled. unless you are using static lan addresses and port forwarding which I doubt.
 
Yea see it won't let me enable DHCP bc says Apex not connected. Man I feel silly, I know I'm missing something simple.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20241204_211840_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241204_211840_Chrome.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20241204_211831_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241204_211831_Chrome.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20241204_211827_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241204_211827_Chrome.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 34
Honestly that's why I got a new router as well. I was loosing communication every other day. Does my DHCP need to be enabled?

Yep, enable DHCP.

The other thing to consider is the subnet… was your previous IP address of the Apex for instance 192.168.1.154, and now your router is dishing out 192.168.0.xxx?

Numbers are arbitrary examples, but something worth looking out for if you set the previous device statically.

Edit: looking at your screenshot it was set statically. I’d check what range of IP addresses your new router is dishing out, and if DHCP is enabled on the new router (should be by default) to make sure it didn’t assign that IP you see on the Apex to another device. You should be able to see all of the devices somewhere in the routers web interface.
 
Now I haven't disconnected old router but I'm not connected to it anymore think that may be the issue?
 
mjszos’ reply about different Ip schemes was what I was going to suggest next. Most IP providers use a different lan IP scheme. If you phone is on the same WiFi check it’s lan IP. This will tell you if the Apex is attempting to connect to the correct network. The first three sets of numbers should be the same on your Apex and phone.
 
Now I haven't disconnected old router but I'm not connected to it anymore think that may be the issue?

Certainly possible if it’s still connecting to the old network.

You may be making this more complicated for yourself, unplug all of the old equipment and go through the provisioning process again on the Apex. And as previously mentioned since the IP address was set statically, you’ll want to make sure your new router is dishing out the correct range of IP addresses, and if it is you’ll want to verify it did not assign the Apex’s statically set IP address to a different device on your home network.
 
Now I haven't disconnected old router but I'm not connected to it anymore think that may be the issue?
You can not have two routers putting out the same wifi signal. Power off the old router
 
Yea think that was the issue....now saying connecting....however been saying that now for about 3 minutes
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20241204_214348_APEXFusion.jpg
    Screenshot_20241204_214348_APEXFusion.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 51

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new