Upgrade Fluval Evo 13.5 Light

inertabyss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I’m new to the hobby (January) and even newer to the forum (today), and looking for some advice. I’m starting to get a bit dissatisfied with how my tank looks under the stock light as my corals don’t “pop” like at the store under their lights. I would also light to add a bit more stability to my tank by having set ramp up ramp down and time the lights are on compared to the control over the stock lights. Off/white&blue/blue.

But my options are limited as I would prefer to keep the stock lid on to keep my 5 year old from temptation. Has anyone got any experience with the AI blade grow light on this tank, will it give me look I’m after or am I better taking off the lid and going with the prime 16hd?

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Grow" concerns me. Is it meant for coral or plants? Prime would do fine

Welcome to R2R!

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a jump screen on my tank which manages to block some light. Right now I'm using a Prime 16 HD over the middle of my 13.5 gal. I'm also using a 12" blade grow over my acro frag rack that's attached to the front glass. All corals are doing well, but my tank is sps dominated. I have an Apogee par meter which gives me a good idea of how much light my corals are getting.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your budget, I would go with a Noopsyche K7 mini with a screen top instead of the stock hood--it's just a light piece of plastic that my 4 and 5 year olds could tear off with ease if they had the desire to. If you have a bigger budget, AI Prime 16HD with a longer flex arm is a good choice but almost 3x price of the K7 mini (which is a light I like better than the prime in any case). Both will let you grow almost anything in an Evo.

TranceLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose an AI Prime HD16 and a mesh lid instead of a different light and top. Being able to view the tank from the top down was really nice. As mentioned above, the Prime allowed me to easily grow the SPS I had in the tank.

OP
OP
I

inertabyss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And did the prime make a big difference to viewing pleasure of the tank? The stock light I only currently get to see the colours of the coral under the full blue but I have to manually do that.

Looks like taking the lid off seems the way to go as well. The lid is a faff to get in for cleaning as it dribbles water everywhere when you do remove it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Would the noopsyche k7 pro 3 be too much for the fluval evo 13.5??
If you want to grow clams I'm sure it'd be just fine! You could more easily do an acro tank using lower % power if you like to lower the power levels. I think of it like an AI Hydra 32, which is usually too much for an Evo.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back