New Waterbox 100.3 build

TranceLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am starting a new Waterbox 100.3 build. The largest reef tank I have had so far is 25 gallons, which is a big jump for me. The first step will be to convert the ATO tank in the sump into a refugium. Once I get that done, I will put the tank in place and start the cycle. I am planning on a two+ month cycle using dry rock and live sand. More to come soon!

Equipment so far (updated):
* Waterbox 100.3 Aquarium (71.7 gals in the display tank and 30.6 gals in the sump)
* Waterbox stand
* Ecotech Radion XR30 G6 Blue with Mount x2
* Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 Return Pump
* Nyos Quantum 120 Protein Skimmer
* Nyos 1.0 Torq G2 Modular Media Reactor Body and Base
* XP Aqua Duetto ATO System
* EcoTech VorTech MP40
* AI Nero 3 (x 2)
* Inkbird ITC-306A WiFi Temperature Controller
* Finnex Titanium Aquarium Heater - 500 Watts (x 2)
* Neptune Apex 3 Pro
* Neptune Trident
* ReefMat 500 Fleece Roller

70717128264__F7688762-E75C-4891-91F4-B436E76E575C (1).jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TranceLvr

TranceLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this weekend, I got a lot done on getting the tank ready for the cycle.

First, I reconfigured the sump to remove the filter socks area, since I am going to use a roller filter and needed the space. I also reconfigured the ATO reservoir and return pump area to allow for a refugium. Considering I have never cut or drilled glass, I am going to call it a success. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Before:
IMG_1281.jpeg

After:
IMG_1299.jpeg

Second, I set up the tank and equipment and filled it with tap water to test everything out for a few days. Good thing, since I put some of the gaskets in the wrong place. :grinning-face-with-sweat: Waterbox builds a great product with crappy directions. The wiring is all temporary as I will eventually add an aquarium control system and the rest of the equipment.

IMG_1305.jpeg

I have 80 lbs of ARK White DRY Reef Rock coming from Addictive Reef Keeping and got 80 lbs. of CaribSea Ocean Direct sand yesterday from my LFS. Excited to start the cycle soon!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice!!

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with getting the stand to level, or mods? I can slide an envelope between the foam and the frame on mine, the spaces shift anytime I adjust the feet

OP
OP
TranceLvr

TranceLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with getting the stand to level, or mods? I can slide an envelope between the foam and the frame on mine, the spaces shift anytime I adjust the feet
The only real issue was the time it took. I measured the change I needed to make the tank level and then used a piece of plywood against the feet with the stand on its side. There are so many feet it was a slow process to get the middle feet all correct. But everything worked out, and the tank is level with no gaps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TranceLvr

TranceLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I am almost finished with my aquascape. The basic shape was all done using cyanoacrylate, and now I need to add epoxy to strengthen everything. I created four distinct sections that look connected but are not. This will help to make putting into and removing from the tank easier. Also, I ensured there was adequate room all around to help with water flow. I used BRS's video on the HNSA method, which was super detailed and helpful. This is my first time doing the HNSA method, and I love the outcome.

70899885823__0ADDF7FD-4D34-4140-81B2-F1EAE993E6C6.jpeg

IMG_0184.jpeg

OP
OP
TranceLvr

TranceLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I haven't updated in a while as we have been traveling.

I finally fished the aquascaping and put it in the tank. I am very happy with the results.

1689087194733.jpeg

Because the sump takes up so much room in the stand, I decided I wanted to keep all the controllers and outlets out of the sump area. I bought a cheap cabinet and built some false backs to help make all the wiring clean. I then wired everything in the cabinet and in the sump. For those wondering, I won't actually use items like the reef roller or skimmer until the appropriate time in the cycle process, but I wanted to wire them now as it will be hard to get behind the tank once it is filled with water.

1689087303383.jpeg

1689087355107.jpeg

The tank is now ready to cycle. My plan is to do a fishless cycle starting in early August using something like Dr. Tim's one and only and dosing ammonium chloride. Once that is complete, I will follow the more recent BRS biome cycle process using no lights and adding pods, phyto, and a couple of fish. I am guessing this will last 5-7 weeks after which I will turn the lights on to a LPS level of par and add some more fish and likely some CUC. My goal this time is to go slow and steady. Let's hope I stay the course. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
TranceLvr

TranceLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am excited to report that I finally have livestock in the tank! Yesterday I added a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish, a Yellowtail Black Blenny, and a few hermit crabs. I will continue to run the tank without lights for another 5-7 weeks.

IMG_0533.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back