upgrading a existing reef.

dcreasy9880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple questions about what's the best way to move a current reef setup into a new tank. I currently have a 36 gallon bowfront reef tank and i am curious about moving everything into a 40 gallon breeder tank. Essentially i already have right at 40 pounds of rock in my current system, but my vision in my head on the tank move i would still purchase a few new peace's of dry rock since my current tank is 30 inches wide and the 40 breeder is 36, allowing a longer display area and more room to build a longer rock scape for corals. The corals i currently have are a Duncan Wich is on a frag plug, a pulsing xenia on a frag plug a rainbow bta Wich has settled into one of my rocks, and a small section of neon green star polyp that is attached to a rock as well. I know i have to buy new sand, and essentially i would fill a tote or big enough bucket with tank water to store my rock and livestock while i move the old tank out of the way and the new tank into position. My question is what is the best way to go about this process, should i reuse any existing tank water, or fill up with all new fresh mixed salt water. Also my current filtration system is a tidal 75 hang on back filter and i was going to continue to use the same filter on the new tank along with my skimmer. I am also debating purchasing an aio insert kit was wondering if anyone else recommends this or just keep rocking hob filters, ive read mixed reviews about aio were harder on parameter swings with evaporation in the filter compartments. Will i crash my cycle? weather i use my hob fitler or the aio insert i would still use my same existing bio media Wich is in its own baggie. Should i dose bacteria as soon as i set the new tank up? My hope is using my existing rock and bio media with new live sand i get an instant cycle in a sense. My frags i feel will be fine during the transition but will my bta get harmed in anyway moving it out of the tank on the rock into a holding tote with water then moved into new tank within a few hours max time frame? Looking for any help and insight to make this as smooth as possible. If i decide to do this upgrade i need to purchase a new stand and id like to get a 200w heater instead of the 100w i currently have, I am in no rush to make this move happen so i have time to collect new sand, heater, stand, rock, and anything else i may need to purchase along with painting the back glass black if i dont go the aio insert route.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s more than a couple of questions, lol. The best way to move a tank is to already have another one set up and to transfer everything except the sand in a single day. Using bacteria is a good way to mitigate issues. Another ideas is to seed a bag of media like Seachem Matrix in the old tank for a few weeks and use it in the new tank to speed process even more.

In tanks with baffles the compartment with the return pump is where an auto top off sensor would go to assure water levels remain consistent.

If the tank is going in the same spot buy a 20-32 gallon trash can and move everything in there until the sand clears and the perimeters are identical to your current system in the new tank. Then move everything over a day later, including water from trash can. Use Seachem Stability or Bio-spira to help with the mini cycle you may get. Have a bottle of Prime and test kits ready. Poly-Filter can be very helpful too.

I’d take my time looking for the right kind of tank too. An AOI or sump system are more preferable than the common tanks found in Petco or Petsmart. Im in the process of putting a system together and will drill a rimless tank. Have all the equipment I’m just scared to try it.

OP
OP
D

dcreasy9880

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I already have the new tank, my dad has it as an extra tank and we will be trading once I break mine down. And I currently have a bag of seachem matrix in my tidal filter already Wich is why I’m leaning towards just continuing to run hob equipment like I already am. And unfortunately I can’t set the new tank up while the old one is still up just because the only available spot I have for it is where I currently have my current setup. My thought was to set the new tank up with sand and rocks except the one rock that has my anemone on it, and fill it up as slow as possible and try to let it run a few hours to clear up from the cloudy sand water then add in my fish and corals few hours later or a day if that’s what’s needed. Or could I go ahead and put my anemone and corals in with the new water while it clears up?

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I combined my 20 cube and Evo to a 40 breeder, I used about 20 gallons of my old water and topped it off with a new batch of salt water. I would keep the HOB as the AIO will take space away from the display.

Since you are using your current rock, no need for any bottled bacteria. The bacteria are already present on the rock and the cycle can not be undone, restart, or otherwise, fail. That is unless you dry the rock out. I would do a good rinse on your sand with tap water to eliminate the cloudiness. Personally, I don't bother to rise the sand again in RO, before adding it to the tank but many do.

The rest of you plan is sound and is how I did mine. Moved some rock and all corals and fish into a plastic storage container with a heater and power head. Filled with tank water. All other rocks into 5 gallon buckets, again filled with tank water. Took old tank down, put new tank up. Rinsed sand and then reversed the process.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back