Upgrading and Need Advice

  • Thread starter Thread starter BonnieB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BonnieB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2024
Messages
2,188
Reaction score
4,256
Location
Simi Valley
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is I just made the decision to go from a 32.5 AIO to a 100g…an awesome problem in that my tank is already outgrowing itself and I need more room for growth.

So I’d love some solid tested advice on how to do this responsibly and hopefully lose no one but definitely as little as possible.

I have fish, inverts, CUC, softies and lps. I want to move everything slowly. My plan so far is to get the new tank cycled and then go forward transferring an “inch” at a time, no matter how long it takes, from hardy to most delicate.

What would you recommend?
 
Good luck with this. If it were me I'd move the 30g out of the way, place the new tank wherever get it cycled then place everything in. But I'm not sure if this is smart LOL. BUMP
 
Good luck with this. If it were me I'd move the 30g out of the way, place the new tank wherever get it cycled then place everything in. But I'm not sure if this is smart LOL. BUMP
That actually is the plan…at least so far!
 
I think your plan is solid - get the new tank in place, cycle it, and then slowly transfer the livestock. It would be helpful if the new tank was running about the same temperature, salinity and alkalinity as your old tank.

My comment would be that many don't even bother trying to reuse old sand. Sand can trap detritus and can be a nutrient sink that's suddenly released when you try to reuse it. If you absolutely have to reuse old sand, many suggest rinsing it well. Depending on what sand you have, it may be just as easy and reasonably affordable to simply replace it in the new tank.

Good luck!
 
Last edited:

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new