Upgrading lighting....

jafoca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending hours and hours modifying the hood of my BioCube 29 I have come to the conclusion that I am not happy with the results. The lighitng is too close to the surface of the water to get proper spread from the reflector that i have, so my tank is plagued with a hot spot in the back rear and lower light most everywhere else.

While most of my livestock seems happy enough, my clams seem like they may be stretching for light even being directly under the 70watt halide bulb. So my gripe is - lighting not evenly dispersed over tank and lighting not quite strong enough. So what should I do about this?

My current thought is to construct a new canopy for my system. Hopefully my grandfather, practically a master woodworker, will help me build somehting that looks good and is as functional as I want it to be. I am even thinking about mounting a fuge in my hood, but more on that in another thread possibly.

I am wanting to go for 150watt HQI halide lighting. Probably a phoenix 14k bulb. THe question becomes - supplementation actinic light or not?

Most people say "14k does not need supp actinic". Well, I had it before and was not happy with it until I added 1x 65watt actinic to my tank. I like the fluorescence ;P

So what kind of actinic should I shoot for?

It recently came to my attention that URI (or somebody) still offers 18" VHO actinic bulbs. I am thiniking maybe 14k phoenix + 2xVHO actinic??

I would go T5HO but the bulbs do not fit above the cube. So its VHO or PCs...

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well IMO VHO gives you better blue color than T-5s, it really makes corals POP even when the light is on, and 1 ? Have you used the 14K Phenoik or just another 14K, cause the 14K Ushio I had looks nothing like the 14K Phenoiks?

Texasarrowhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 20' 150 14k sunpod and it's alot of light but I do wish I had a extra actinic light.I have a outer orbit 250 hqi and 4 t-5 combo on my 75gal and I wish I could get my 29 biocube lights to look just like it.Anyways I am happy with the sunpod.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 145 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back