Upgrading reef tank

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fairly new to saltwater even though I have had African cichlids most of my life. I currently have a 30 gallon with plenty of live rock that has been set up for just about a year. 4 bulb t5 light, half 10K/half actinic, with 10 gallon sump and skimmer. I have a biocube power head and a large HOB filter I use mainly for flow or some mechanical filtration as needed. I have a cleanup crew of nassarius, cerith and hermits. I also have a small feather duster that has been doing well several months, The corals are all softies; green star polyps, finger leather and and new pulsing xenia. I had a dwarf lion for several months but my air conditioning went out of a 105 day and he just didnt take the heat well. A local club friend sold me a large bubble tip anemone, 6" across, with a mated pair of maroon clowns, female 4", male 2 1/2", and a Melanurua wrasse about 3 12". I know i am close to being overstocked and soon will be. I am considering moving the reef into a 55 that is now set up with africans. My question is this: if I move everything over, rock, substrate, etc, will the new tank need to cycle? I would like to tear down and reset in one day since I don't have anyplace else to keep stuff in the meantime.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done exactly that with no problems but be aware if you do some stuff might not make it. There's still a risk. Moving substrates could be a big problem tho and recomend new sand. Depending on your sand depth and condition you could stir up lot of junk.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Good luck on your move!! Would love to see some pics when you get it up and running!

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah as the above said I would, if anything, wash out or just replace the sand. The rest shouldn't be too much of a problem.. but I would try cleaning out the equipment while you have it all out. :)

OP
OP
Nemoose

Nemoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female maroon clown is about 4 in + and so dark she is almost black. And , she has an attitude, lol. Probably one of the most beautiful fish I ahve ever seen.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
19-1.gif

Welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown is gorgeous and big! I bet she has an attitude.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love maroons wish they weren't so mean:(((((

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back