Upgrading safely

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 smaller aquariums both with seriously high phosphates that I’ve been working hard to bring down, mainly with GFO and water changes.
My question/concern is once my new tank (90 gallon) finishes cycling I plan on moving my fish inverts and the few coral left (a couple mushrooms, ricordeas and pulsing Xenia) over to the new tank, should I dip the corals since the tank they’re coming out of is overrun with green hair algae and I don’t want to end up transferring anything bad into the new tank.
My other question is my smallest tank is doing well aside from the phosphate being too high and I’m wanting to clean out the larger tank and move my beautiful lone Maroon clown over with the rock and corals since most of the rock has coral growing on it but I’m concerned that I’ll also be transferring the phosphate issues since rocks seem to hold it inside. I’ve been trying to reduce the phosphate and it’s dropped a lot in the past couple months but still pretty high.
Any suggestions on how to move the rock and coral without ending up with a phosphate issue in the new tank?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate isn't something that just happens...you're introducing it into your tank. Usually it comes from overfeeding (frozen foods can have very high phosphates). But there are other sources of phosphates, such as your source water.
So, to answer your last question, you generally won't "transfer" phosphate issues. Unless your rocks are leaching phosphates. You have a GHA problem in your current tanks because of the high phosphates.
Test your new tank, which I assume is empty due to it cycling, for phosphates. Are you making your own RODI water? What are you feeding? How heavy is the bioload?
A lot of these things play into phosphate/nitrate.
Oh, one last question: What is your phosphate level? You never listed it.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last check it was .26, it was initially.68, it got down to .16 but went back up. I use Rodi water and change filters and resin when due, I have 2 clownfish, a watchman goby, Royal gramma, lawnmower blenny.
Tuxedo urchin, 2 peppermint shrimp, assorted snails, crabs and a conch
I feed once a day, frozen rinsed mysis 2-3 times a week and pellet food the other days.
I don’t feel like I’m over feeding
I have a smaller tank with no algae that is visible and it’s phosphate was .82 but I’m pretty sure that was from not changing out my filter socks
It’s down to .32 and I’m steadily working to lower it , I use a filter reactor with GFO in the small tank and GFO in a media bag in the cube as well as a protein skimmer
Initially I feel I caused it when I got lazy about my water changes but I’ve been consistent with my water changes and maintenance for 2-3 months now and will continue.
Hard lesson learned what can happen when you don’t keep up with your maintenance
Picture of cube attached

Attachments

• A3A363D9-BA06-4827-8CB4-79C9DF605CA6.jpeg
    A3A363D9-BA06-4827-8CB4-79C9DF605CA6.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the last checks, it was down then went back up. I’m wondering if a snail or something died that caused it to go back up ‍♀️
if the rocks are leaching phosphates will I ever get control of it ?

Attachments

• 450C490E-CED7-495C-B6BA-5CF40DDCB719.jpeg
    450C490E-CED7-495C-B6BA-5CF40DDCB719.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 5B2D5BBC-39B2-42B5-BF92-6D31E56D049A.jpeg
    5B2D5BBC-39B2-42B5-BF92-6D31E56D049A.jpeg
    291.6 KB · Views: 22

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back