Upgrading tank

cameron_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey i want to upgrade my 55 gal to a 150 but keep both. What’s the cheapest setup i can get that includes a sump i’ve tried plumbing before with no success. i’ve never really dosed my tanks or had any top-off of any kind is it necessary? Also when i’m cycling my 150 cant i just introduce a good sum of water from my 55 gal into it to jumpstart the cycle?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea (one's definition of "cheap" varies considerably). But in answer to your second question, yes - you can insta-cycle your new tank by adding new sand, saltwater, transferring over some existing rock and BIO-Spira.

OP
OP
C

cameron_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea (one's definition of "cheap" varies considerably). But in answer to your second question, yes - you can insta-cycle your new tank by adding new sand, saltwater, transferring over some existing rock and BIO-
do you want to use the 55G as another tank or sump to the 150?
i want to keep them both active but the most i want to spend on the setup is 2.5k excluding rock coral fish sand etc

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when i’m cycling my 150 cant i just introduce a good sum of water from my 55 gal into it to jumpstart the cycle?
You can use the water, but it won't affect the cycle. You'll need to use the rock and/or other biomedia from the current tank. There is VERY little nitrifying bacteria in the water column.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some lfs will drill tanks. Others won't.
You can ask a glass seller to drill a fish tank too for ya. Just get the Overflow kit with the hole jig already and the bit.
Take it all to them.

It should deff be doable at 2.5k
I didn't like running 2 sw reef tanks though and ended up with just one large one.

OP
OP
C

cameron_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some lfs will drill tanks. Others won't.
You can ask a glass seller to drill a fish tank too for ya. Just get the Overflow kit with the hole jig already and the bit.
Take it all to them.

It should deff be doable at 2.5k
I didn't like running 2 sw reef tanks though and ended up with just one large one.
ok thank you

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cheapest way is probably just set up a new 150 gallon tank.

Buy a 150 gallon rimmed tank on sale. buy a 40 breeder on sale for the sump (alternatively could get a canister filter depending). Build a 2X4 stand (watch vids/do research). Buy some lights that fit your needs. . . then you just gotta buy the odds and ends. . . pump, plumbing, baffles, overflow (if you dont want to drill). . .

just leave some media in our current tank to place in the sump of the new system. . .

that seems like the cheapest way to me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back