Upgrading to a 180 gallon reef...

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I a upgrading from a 4 foot 75 gallon reef to a foot 180 gallon reef. My yellow and blue tang are thanking me already.

A few questions as I plan my upgrade please...
  • I want to go with a DSB can I use my existing sand bed or should I start over with all new sand?
  • After I start my tank using the LR and coral from my 75 gallon can I add new fish like a large angel OR do I need to assume my tank is new and wait 6 months?
  • Would love to read some other build threads for 180 tanks - please share. I have just started randomly trying to locate. Are they organized by tank size?
Thanks!
Neptune

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I a upgrading from a 4 foot 75 gallon reef to a foot 180 gallon reef. My yellow and blue tang are thanking me already.

A few questions as I plan my upgrade please...
  • I want to go with a DSB can I use my existing sand bed or should I start over with all new sand?
  • After I start my tank using the LR and coral from my 75 gallon can I add new fish like a large angel OR do I need to assume my tank is new and wait 6 months?
  • Would love to read some other build threads for 180 tanks - please share. I have just started randomly trying to locate. Are they organized by tank size?
Thanks!
Neptune

I would go with new sand bed. Unless you thoroughly rinse the old sand.

You can use your live rock, and transfer fish in the same day. Reuse as much water as possible from your old tank. I would get a bottle of Dr Tim's / bio spira it similar bacteria and add it before the fish, just in case there is a mini cycle that happens

lolgranny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree with ditching the old sand. Cleaning it is just crazy work.

I just moved houses and went from a 400g to 700g. I filled it with new salt, got the temp and salinity correct. Put the rock and power heads in along with all of my livestock. Over 100 colonies and 40 fish. Not one loss. The following day I setup the skimmer and lights.

When I transferred everything from house to house it was all in water. Rocks and all so I didn’t have any die off.

I never had a cycle and I added another 200lbs of dry rock.

Your main thing is getting that salinity correct and temp.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back