Upgrading to a slightly bigger tank - need some guidance

S3PANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm looking for some guidance on how to transfer an established tank into a larger new tank. Currently a few months into a reef tank with a fluval evo 13.5 but I've decided to upgrade to a slightly bigger setup with an IM Nuvo 20. The evo has 2 clowns, cleaner crew, 1 blood shrimp and 6 various soft coral frags (zoos & polyps). The Nuvo will be set up with entirely new equipment, so in theory I could cycle the new tank next to the old (I ordered new live sand and plan to utilize unused dry rock) but I would like to also like to transfer over the rock I currently have in the evo. I've read a few posts where people have moved smaller tanks into bigger ones in the same day, but I am concerned about getting ammonia spikes with having new dry rock starting a cycle. Given the situation, what would be your approach to make this a seamless transition?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first cure the new rock and then transfer everything over but the sand from the 13.5 unless the sand is 2” or less.

OP
OP
S

S3PANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first cure the new rock and then transfer everything over but the sand from the 13.5 unless the sand is 2” or less.
Thanks for this. I did buy new live sand but will take a cup or 2 of the sand in the current tank and add it. Will I have issues if once it’s cycled I move in the other rock?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded from a JBJ 28g to a Red Sea E-260, (much bigger!!), set up the E-260 and let it fully cycle. Once the cycle was done I slowly transferred the corals first, then the inhabitants one by one over a few days. Which, by the way, the JBJ is For Sale!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back