UPS Battery Backup... Is There Something I'm Missing About How These Work?

Reefcorals

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 4, 2025
Messages
12
Reaction score
22
Location
Canton
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeking a battery backup system should the power go out when I am away. To power my return and flow pumps for as long as possible. (I have two Tunze flow pumps and two smaller Syncra return pumps). I assume I could plug those four pumps into a UPS lithium battery backup system. With current UPS style Lithium-Ion technology, would the UPS unit kick on automatically when power is lost? And if the battery capacity states something like 1000 watts, and my total watts being used are 100, would I then get approximately 10 hours of battery power? Is there something that I am missing? I remember when BRS tested the EcoTech battery and it performed better than UPS systems. But I don’t recall if the UPS systems were lead-acid or lithium. I suspect I may be missing something regarding how a UPS system works with DC pumps?? Thanks in advance to all who respond.
-Dave
 
I am seeking a battery backup system should the power go out when I am away. To power my return and flow pumps for as long as possible. (I have two Tunze flow pumps and two smaller Syncra return pumps). I assume I could plug those four pumps into a UPS lithium battery backup system. With current UPS style Lithium-Ion technology, would the UPS unit kick on automatically when power is lost? And if the battery capacity states something like 1000 watts, and my total watts being used are 100, would I then get approximately 10 hours of battery power? Is there something that I am missing? I remember when BRS tested the EcoTech battery and it performed better than UPS systems. But I don’t recall if the UPS systems were lead-acid or lithium. I suspect I may be missing something regarding how a UPS system works with DC pumps?? Thanks in advance to all who respond.
-Dave

Yes a UPS will automatically switch to battery power.

Watts is not a measure of capacity you would need the watt hour or amp hour for that.

There are some good threads here on backup power. I use a Ecoflow to back up my return pumps.
 
I am seeking a battery backup system should the power go out when I am away. To power my return and flow pumps for as long as possible. (I have two Tunze flow pumps and two smaller Syncra return pumps). I assume I could plug those four pumps into a UPS lithium battery backup system. With current UPS style Lithium-Ion technology, would the UPS unit kick on automatically when power is lost? And if the battery capacity states something like 1000 watts, and my total watts being used are 100, would I then get approximately 10 hours of battery power? Is there something that I am missing? I remember when BRS tested the EcoTech battery and it performed better than UPS systems. But I don’t recall if the UPS systems were lead-acid or lithium. I suspect I may be missing something regarding how a UPS system works with DC pumps?? Thanks in advance to all who respond.
-Dave
That is more or less how it works. They don’t last as long as you would think. I use a flow delta and I get about 2 hours out of mine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new