Upset zoa?

Bkimberlin14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up an utter chaos frag from the lfs a few days ago. Noticed it was more brown than black and vibrant in my tank..
Just wondering if I should move it for more/less light or if it is fine and the expensive lfs lights fooled me again?

Thanks!

b3d945bab9b758ad73e347b27c8d2be8.jpg

IMG_1973.JPG

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and how long has it been in one spot in your tank? I would leave them alone for a while before you go about moving them. I have multiple colonies of Utter Chaos in my tanks and I think yours are pretty typical, except probably less of the red colors. I find that zoas like more of a blue spectrum instead of a white spectrum and will open up the best. What type of lights do you run and do you know your spectrum or par?

OP
OP
Bkimberlin14

Bkimberlin14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank and how long has it been in one spot in your tank? I would leave them alone for a while before you go about moving them. I have multiple colonies of Utter Chaos in my tanks and I think yours are pretty typical, except probably less of the red colors. I find that zoas like more of a blue spectrum instead of a white spectrum and will open up the best. What type of lights do you run and do you know your spectrum or par?

Tank is 3 months old, It’s been in that spot for 3 days.

I have the light that came with my tank (Aqueon OptiBright LED). No idea as far as spectrum/par goes. I was told it could handle some med-low light coral depending on placement.

I’ve been looking at the Current USA Orbit or the Fluval Marine & Reef as an upgrade but not sure where to go as I can’t really hang a light above the tank.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also find that Utter Chaos in particular tend to like higher PAR. I'd give it a few more days in that spot since they don't look bad or that stressed to me. If they don't look good after that I'd try to move them up more or purchase a better light. I tend to love the AI lights.

OP
OP
Bkimberlin14

Bkimberlin14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also find that Utter Chaos in particular tend to like higher PAR. I'd give it a few more days in that spot since they don't look bad or that stressed to me. If they don't look good after that I'd try to move them up more or purchase a better light. I tend to love the AI lights.

Okay I’ll give that a shot. I did notice the lfs had there’s rather high in the tank.
The AI lights are very nice I just wish they weren’t so expensive.

Do you have to hang them?

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’ll give that a shot. I did notice the lfs had there’s rather high in the tank.
The AI lights are very nice I just wish they weren’t so expensive.

Do you have to hang them?
I have 6 AI Primes over my display and frag tanks, they grow zoas extremely well and I am very pleased with them. I highly recommend them. You don't have to hang those you can mount them to the tank like in my profile pic. I do not recommend the goose neck mounts as I have had difficulty with them, I recommend the hard metal mounts instead.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back