Upside Down Jellyfish care requirements? Does anyone have info?

heckingeckos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I am wondering if anyone has tips on keeping upside down jellyfish. I have read that they can be kept in a rectangular aquarium. I am considering a 50 gallon cube. Or a fluval 32? Is that a good idea? How many could i fit in there, they get up to 8" supposedly. I understand they have a symbiotic algae and require strong light. Any recommendations? Considering a AI prime or hydra, or would the stock light on the fluval work? I was going to create an all in one system and cut plexi to create the back wall and intake. Is there a certain design i should use? Or is creating a sump better? Do they also need supplemental feeding with live brine shrimp or copepods? I also read something about not using reef salt due to the added minerals. Will this harm the jellies? What salt should i use? Can I include any live rock? I'm worried there won't be enough bacteria without it. What else do I need to consider? If anyone could just link a care guide that would be great, I'm having trouble finding information. Thanks for any experience you can give!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've kept Cassiopeia / upside down jellies in a small as a 20 gallon tank. They don't seem to grow as large in captivity as I've seen in the wild. I usually keep them under metal halide, but any strong light source will work. I also feed them enriched live baby brine shrimp. The bottom of the tanks is just sand/crushed coral. You can put in a few decorations, but they mostly need floor space. Reef salts is no issue, not sure why somebody would say that it is.

My main issue with them is that they do best in a species tank, with nothing else, and I find them kind of boring (grin)

Jay

OP
OP
heckingeckos

heckingeckos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've kept Cassiopeia / upside down jellies in a small as a 20 gallon tank. They don't seem to grow as large in captivity as I've seen in the wild. I usually keep them under metal halide, but any strong light source will work. I also feed them enriched live baby brine shrimp. The bottom of the tanks is just sand/crushed coral. You can put in a few decorations, but they mostly need floor space. Reef salts is no issue, not sure why somebody would say that it is.

My main issue with them is that they do best in a species tank, with nothing else, and I find them kind of boring (grin)

Jay
Thank you so much for the info! I am planning on a species only tank, but i was also wondering if other jellies could be kept with them such as the spotted lagoon jelly? I am also hoping to have some macroalgae. I am going to start a brine shrimp hatchery and get fine live sand. Thank you again!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the info! I am planning on a species only tank, but i was also wondering if other jellies could be kept with them such as the spotted lagoon jelly? I am also hoping to have some macroalgae. I am going to start a brine shrimp hatchery and get fine live sand. Thank you again!
Typically, no. Most other jellies require water flow patterns to keep them suspended in the water. You might be able to mix them with Mastigia lagoon jellies, but I’ve never seen it done.

Jay

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
This fits my experience well. Mine thrived with feeding baby brine, had them with mangroves and macroalgae in a fluval evo 13.5 gallon and lit with a Nicrew 30W LED. Sold them because I honestly got bored with them.

20230501_183319.jpg
20230501_183330.jpg

OP
OP
heckingeckos

heckingeckos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fits my experience well. Mine thrived with feeding baby brine, had them with mangroves and macroalgae in a fluval evo 13.5 gallon and lit with a Nicrew 30W LED. Sold them because I honestly got bored with them.

20230501_183319.jpg
20230501_183330.jpg
Oh that's so cool thank you! I'm looking to create a very similar tank to this, its awesome to have a great example.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back