Urchin from gulf live rock

  • Thread starter Thread starter timboreef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

timboreef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 24, 2025
Messages
42
Reaction score
64
Location
cuba
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone Id this type of urchin? It came with gulf live rock. I didn’t discover it until 2 months after receiving live rock. I have not noticed anything alarming. But can they be harmful to fish? Any advice?
 
20250920_203344_6C1513EE-3BE7-414C-AF8D-F7BB33442852.png
 
Purple spine urchin (Echinometra lucunter), I think. Reef safe algae eater, make sure you keep him fed if you intend on keeping him, supplement with nori or other seaweed if algae starts to run low around the tank, they are voracious lol. Watch out for reduced movement and dropped spines, early sign of starvation usaully.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new