Urchin spawning and makes the water cloudy. Do I need to do anything?

  • Thread starter Thread starter rowenaad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rowenaad

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2021
Messages
362
Reaction score
200
Location
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tuxedo urchin has been spawning (pretty sure) for 20 minutes and hasnt stopped.....but its a 20gal and water has become cloudy....would it do any harm to the tank? i assume its just coral food? should i do some water changes?


IMG_3930.JPG
 
Neat! It is coral food. If fish are not showing difficulty due to low oxygen, everything should be ok. Consider activated carbon to clear up water.
 
Neat! It is coral food. If fish are not showing difficulty due to low oxygen, everything should be ok. Consider activated carbon to clear up water.
Thanks! tank is low on fish now. they should be alright then. ill drop some carbon and let corals have a feast
 
Pretty cool you are getting to witness that!
 
You don't need to do anything. They normally do that when they are stressed.
I used to have an Urchin collection business that I would get by SCUBA diving. I once had too many of them so I put 24 of them in my reef. Big mistake. They all spawned at once and the water looked like Half and Half.

I did use my diatom filter because it was so severe but it cleared in a couple of days and nothing happened. 😎
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 27.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 27.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new