Urgent help High phosphates

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently started my new waterbox 130.4 everything was transferred from my 70.2 gal tank over a few days. Corals and fish.

Everything was in check and when I checked my Phosphates using hanna phosphorus checker and it first read 200ppb which is roughly 0.6 Phosphates.

Completed a 150L water change and tested a few hours later and was at 190ppb

I tested again today and same again 190ppb. I have started using Rowaphos in a media bag in a medium flow area as recommended.

Corals were looking great over the past few days but some appear to be more sensitive and struggling.

Anything more I can do or rode it out while the rowaphos does its thing?

Additional water changes?

Sand and rock were dry and rinsed heavily with RODI water before tank went through its cycling. Again Phosphates were 0.01during this period.

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a similar issue in my tank I use brightwell phosphate E works like a charm but powerfull works well

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start with you definitely want to lower them BUT slowly you don't want to further stress your corals by having phosphate swings and sudden sharp nose dives. you are doing great so far would recommend a series of water changes at a span of different days of course.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you then want to address the issue on why this happened. heavy feeding? high bioload? bad skimmer that isn't removing fish waste before it dissolves?

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is bubble magus curve 5 is good for up to 500L

I would say highbioload in a short period of time would be a big factor.

Will complete another 150L water change in a couple days. As last one was yesterday.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you test your rodi water or newly mixed saltwater for phosphates?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often are you changing filter socks? how is flow handled in the tank?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i find if i dont change my media (i use polyfil in a media cup) every 2-3 days my phosphates will slowly start rising

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how often are you changing filter socks? how is flow handled in the tank?
Feeding is kept to a reasonable amount as everyone still settling in so not eating lots. But minimal/ non is left over.

Socks every 3/4 days but definitely not filled with scum unlike my 70.2 with same amount of fish and would need to change every 2 days

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exposure to high phosphates can cause them to get trapped in rock and sand and they will end up back in the water, raising the levels back up somewhat. In other words, you could do a 100% water change to zero phosphates and you will see them rising again the next day as the phosphates come back out of the rocks. Of course, the amount in the rock, etc depends on the length of exposure.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exposure to high phosphates can cause them to get trapped in rock and sand and they will end up back in the water, raising the levels back up somewhat. In other words, you could do a 100% water change to zero phosphates and you will see them rising again the next day as the phosphates come back out of the rocks. Of course, the amount in the rock, etc depends on the length of exposure.
The rock was live rock for 2 years and has been dry for 10 months. I soaked them in rodi for 1 week and flushed them out. Also used several kgs of live rock from previous tank

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully I see some reduction on Phosphates tomorrow, I do have the option to complete a 300L water change would this be best? and then if still high can do another 200L after a couple days

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did a test today and 20hours it has reduced from phosphorus 190ppb/ 0.583ppm down to phosphorus 168ppb/ 0.511 phosphate.

Should I leave it continue to drop or do a large waterchange?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have recently started my new waterbox 130.4 everything was transferred from my 70.2 gal tank over a few days. Corals and fish.

Everything was in check and when I checked my Phosphates using hanna phosphorus checker and it first read 200ppb which is roughly 0.6 Phosphates.

Completed a 150L water change and tested a few hours later and was at 190ppb

I tested again today and same again 190ppb. I have started using Rowaphos in a media bag in a medium flow area as recommended.

Corals were looking great over the past few days but some appear to be more sensitive and struggling.

Anything more I can do or rode it out while the rowaphos does its thing?

Additional water changes?

Sand and rock were dry and rinsed heavily with RODI water before tank went through its cycling. Again Phosphates were 0.01during this period.
My best success is use of ChemiPure Elite which brings it down and keeps it in cheack as well as Nitrate and water clarity

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Water is clear as crystal and nitrates at 5ppm.

Should I still do a large waterchange or let it drop slowly over next week?
Do a water change as planned and see what reduction it provides

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is clear as crystal and nitrates at 5ppm.

Should I still do a large waterchange or let it drop slowly over next week?
Water changes due virtually nothing to lower phosphate levels. They work on nitrates but not phosphate. Just add some phosguard or chemipure and walk it down slowly so you don't stress your corals or fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back