URGENT! is my rose bubble tip dying??

nanogal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I just purchased a rose bubble yesterday from my lfs, huge and looked beautiful and healthy in their tank.

It was very unhappy in the bag and during acclimation (to be expected though with any major change like that). i then added it to my DT and turned down my flow to let it settle into a spot. Woke up this morning to lots of brown strings coming from it. Thought it was just expelling waste, but then it fell down to the bottom of my tank and i noticed that it’s foot has a bright red spot as well as brown and white strings coming from the foot and what looks like some of its guts.

The lfs employee that bagged it had admitted they had never had to bag one before and struggled to remove it from its spot in their tank. Do we think he injured the foot on the process? Should I call my lfs and see about returning/exchanging it or do we think it could pull through?

I really don’t want this to mess up my water as it’s in a good spot and all of my parameters are where they should be, other than magnesium which has been on the lower side but i have been dosing for this accordingly. FYI this is not a new system, i have had this tank up and running for just over a year and a half now.

Picture of the foot attached for reference.

IMG_8799.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I just purchased a rose bubble yesterday from my lfs, huge and looked beautiful and healthy in their tank.

It was very unhappy in the bag and during acclimation (to be expected though with any major change like that). i then added it to my DT and turned down my flow to let it settle into a spot. Woke up this morning to lots of brown strings coming from it. Thought it was just expelling waste, but then it fell down to the bottom of my tank and i noticed that it’s foot has a bright red spot as well as brown and white strings coming from the foot and what looks like some of its guts.

The lfs employee that bagged it had admitted they had never had to bag one before and struggled to remove it from its spot in their tank. Do we think he injured the foot on the process? Should I call my lfs and see about returning/exchanging it or do we think it could pull through?

I really don’t want this to mess up my water as it’s in a good spot and all of my parameters are where they should be, other than magnesium which has been on the lower side but i have been dosing for this accordingly. FYI this is not a new system, i have had this tank up and running for just over a year and a half now.

IMG_8799.jpeg
Tumbling around to me would indicate a damaged foot or too strong of flow in the tank for it to attach. I had a LFS probably do the same thing and mine died :( Lets see what other say

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

IMG_8799.jpeg
Its stressed and location would be a starting point. Assure its in an area of moderate light and water flow. Also assure phosphate has not become elevated. Monitor water regularly to assure there are no major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be safe verified by using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < 5 -10
  • Phosphate < .04 - .08
If the anemone starts to move , assure your water flow is not towards the coral. Anemone lighting is important since they need good light as they’re photosynthetic and absorb light to produce their energy source for food and growth. Anemones have zooxanthellae in their body which they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae which many think is poop and in turn. become white which is bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended as well as moderate light. Too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping light moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing flow directly at the anemone which stresses them. Too ;little flow or light and they climb. Feed mysis shrimp or chopped krill 2x A week

OP
OP
nanogal

nanogal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its stressed and location would be a starting point. Assure its in an area of moderate light and water flow. Also assure phosphate has not become elevated. Monitor water regularly to assure there are no major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be safe verified by using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < 5 -10
  • Phosphate < .04 - .08
If the anemone starts to move , assure your water flow is not towards the coral. Anemone lighting is important since they need good light as they’re photosynthetic and absorb light to produce their energy source for food and growth. Anemones have zooxanthellae in their body which they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae which many think is poop and in turn. become white which is bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended as well as moderate light. Too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping light moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing flow directly at the anemone which stresses them. Too ;little flow or light and they climb. Feed mysis shrimp or chopped krill 2x A week
Thanks for all the great tips! I have had bubble tips previously as well until a tank crash when i lost power for a week and didn’t have a backup system. I’m not entirely convinced that it’s my water chemistry etc as my parameters are all within the ranges you listed. My lights are AI primes on a schedule with a preset i selected from another reefer.

When i added it to my tank it was a couple hours before the end of the light cycle, and i turned off my wavemakers and just left the flow coming from the return pump on so there wouldn’t be excessive flow so it could attach. When i placed it into the tank it was in the middle third of my tank. It then fell over today and that’s when i discovered the foot wasn’t in great shape.

I’ll keep monitoring my water levels and keep an eye on it and see how it does by tomorrow when my lfs opens again.

Thanks for the reply!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back