Uronema Anthias Question

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal how long can a fish live with an active uronema infection. I have a 6 month old Bartletts Anthias that has a vertical red line on side. The scales aren't raised and it has been there for almost 3 weeks now with no change. Getting a pic is tough and will keep trying. 3 weeks with no change would rule out uronema correct? Not sure why the area isn't returning to the normal color though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal how long can a fish live with an active uronema infection. I have a 6 month old Bartletts Anthias that has a vertical red line on side. The scales aren't raised and it has been there for almost 3 weeks now with no change. Getting a pic is tough and will keep trying. 3 weeks with no change would rule out uronema correct? Not sure why the area isn't returning to the normal color though.

In my experience, true Uronema ends in death a few days after the telltale vertical red lesion is seen.

That seems to rule out that issue with your fish, but my sample size is pretty small (a dozen of my own fish and perhaps five times that number here).

Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, true Uronema ends in death a few days after the telltale vertical red lesion is seen.

That seems to rule out that issue with your fish, but my sample size is pretty small (a dozen of my own fish and perhaps five times that number here).

Jay

Thanks Jay. Anything else that comes to mind what can cause a vertical red line. Wouldn't a bacterial infection move pretty rapidly. What has me stumped is that it hasn't changed and looks identical.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. Anything else that comes to mind what can cause a vertical red line. Wouldn't a bacterial infection move pretty rapidly. What has me stumped is that it hasn't changed and looks identical.

Correct - most infections (Uronema or bacteria) tend to get worse over time, they do not stay stable. Skin injuries do take a surprisingly long time to heal, and sometimes, scars remain. I'm not sure pictures would help me figure it out, your not being able to get pics in any event....would a video be easier to get?

Jay

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct - most infections (Uronema or bacteria) tend to get worse over time, they do not stay stable. Skin injuries do take a surprisingly long time to heal, and sometimes, scars remain. I'm not sure pictures would help me figure it out, your not being able to get pics in any event....would a video be easier to get?

Jay
The picture quality on the video is atrocious. I swear the fish knows I am trying to take a picture of its side. It's purposely posing the other way. Will keep trying.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to make sure, barletts can form a reddish blotch on their side.
Not my picture.

Bartletts-Anthias-or-Bartletts-Fairy-Bass.png
Would you say simular, or does your anyhias have an actual wounded texture?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
can you post a pic or two under white lighting of fish and even a video for jay? Easier to assess when it can be seen

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my picture.

So at the right angle you can see the line is indented a bit like it got scraped or something.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The picture quality on the video is atrocious. I swear the fish knows I am trying to take a picture of its side. It's purposely posing the other way. Will keep trying.
They see the reflections of lens and take off- I take most of my pics at night and during and after feeding when theyre focused on food rather than me

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my picture.

Good point - that is normal for a male Bartlett's - if the lesion is on both sides, that may well be what it is.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I may dump some stress guard in the tank. Maybe it will help.
Stress guard is pretty much useless and the name on bottle gives false impression. Its a water conditioner with aloe which is a slime coat additive similar to stress coat

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stress guard is pretty much useless and the name on bottle gives false impression. Its a water conditioner with aloe which is a slime coat additive similar to stress coat

all I am using it for is to build the slime coat to see if it helps the area heal.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back