Uronema in tank?

w98789

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank had just finished cycling and I purchased 4 chromis to start. They floated for 2 days together while I went to get a lid for the tank. Only after putting them in the tank had I noticed one showed (in my interpretation) clear signs of urenoma. The red sore. The picture below is not my fish but it looks pretty much identical to that. If I took a picture of my fish it would look no different
I removed the fish with symptoms after it was in for 10 minutes and the other 3 after an hour.

I have read the stories about the parasite staying in the tank and the only method of removal being bleaching.
I feel it is unlikely that the parasite is in my tank since I did not keep any of the store water and removed all of them within an hour.
I think I will need to treat all 4 fish even though it's just 1 is sick. Is that correct? It is my first time owning saltwater fish but I've done plenty of research (just not on Quarantining unfortunately)

Capture.PNG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by "floated for two days together" - like in a floating basket or something? That could have caused undue stress. Green chromis don't ship well, and flight disruptions due to Covid are still a thing, and I've been suggesting people take a pass on this species for now - the Uronema cases are really high, and it isn't treatable once it reaches the red sore stage. You do not need to bleach the tank, most aquariums have Uronema in them (they normally feed on bacteria). Just cross your fingers on the rest of the chromis and then wait for things to simmer down. I would strongly urge you to quarantine though.

Here is a link to an article I posted here on Uronema:

Good luck!

Jay

OP
OP
W

w98789

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I had read some of your articles before I created this post. Glad you're bringing more science based information to hobby.

Sorry it was confusing. I had floated them for 2 days in my DT in the bag the lfs packed them in because I had not gotten my lid yet. That probably stressed them like you said.I had the lights off and I did not look closely enough otherwise I probably would have spotted it earlier. I had first noticed 24 hours ago from when I am writing this comment right now. I checked on them after work today (1 hr ago) and the fish with the symtom has already died. For safety measures I had already moved all the chromis to a qt tank last night when I first noticed.

Thanks for the help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thought is that chromis is poor water/crowded conditions develop Uronema more readily - so getting them into a QT right away is best. Green chromis are often held in plastic bags in the country they are collected i, until they get to the exporters. Keeping them in a bag on this end just adds to that stress.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back